Pages

Friday, September 29, 2023

Miss Saigon in Sydney

After a wonderful day on the coast I was looking forward to finally seeing "Miss Saigon" in the Sydney Opera House. Back home, we see a show most weekends, sometimes two or even three shows. Being away for nearly a month, and in an English speaking country, it is odd that this is the only show I saw.

I had a curry chicken dinner at a Thai restaurant I ate at a few days earlier. I knew it would be quick, cheap, and tasty. It did not disappoint.

Since it was after dark, I took my long walk to the opera house. During a tour, I learned there is a light show shown four times each night on the "sails," starting at sunset and repeating every half an hour. I wasn't sure exactly where to go, but when I arrived I asked a guard who pointed me to the giant staircase. I've seen videos of presentations on the sails and was expecting something much larger, much more grandiose. This was so tucked away, only myself and a couple were watching. Nearby there were children playing soccer, and couples snuggling on the stairs. As I had no idea how long the show would be, I was glad I could see the 7 pm showing and be in my seat well in advance of the 7:30 curtain. It was only six minutes long.





I played tourist and enjoyed the experience. At least 25 years ago I saw "Miss Saigon" on Broadway. I had a business meeting in New York and had to stay overnight, so Don took the train in so we could get tickets from TKTS in Times Square. "Miss Saigon" was the best option that night. "Miss Saigon" was the only option this time. The Sydney Opera House only one Broadway show a year. 

There was a souvenir book for sale, however given the lack of suitcase space, and knowing I would never reference it again, I did not buy one.



The theater holds about 1,500 people in the audience. It was sold out, with overflow standing directly behind my seat. The first half one of the worst audiences I have seen in a long time. People near me kept checking their cell phones. The couple next to me showed up late (and were distracted during the first half of the show). The standing room section behind me kept talking during the show (fortunately they did not return after intermission).

During intermission, I offered to take pictures of a couple. They returned the favor. The opera house was designed to show off the skyline. They made me feel relaxed as if I was a professional model on fashion shoot. Especially when I travel alone, it is hard for me to get a good picture of my whole body.



A selfie

Intermission seemed to be lasting just a little longer than I thought it would (based on when the bell rang encouraging us to return to our seats). We then heard the announcement, "the role of Kim will now be played by Louisa Villine." I was really glad  had taken pictures of the marquee before entering the show.

The lead, Abigail Adriano

The understudy, Louisa Villine




Curious as to what happened to our first act Kim, I looked her up on Instagram. She acknowledged she did not perform in act 2, but gave no explanation. What I did find fascinating is she is from Sydney. This is her first professional leading role. Growing up it was a dream to perform on this stage. After Sydney, she moved with the company to Melbourne. I let Jo in Brisbane know if the show continues to Brisbane she should try to see it.

As I walked back I met a local couple. She was walking with cane, so I would walk up to the next intersection and hit the cross button before she got there so her wait would not be too long. I was also texting Don as he was getting ready for work (or maybe he was at work?). It was a rare day to hear from him a couple of different times. He was still jetlagged from being in Australia. They were seeing a different show while I was at Miss Saigon. They said the night before there were four different shows happening at the same time with each theater feeling as if they were the only one in use. Pre-COVID the husband ran in the New York City Marathon. They saw Beautiful: The Carole King Musicale on Broadway. The show ran from 2014-2019. 

They showed me a slightly better way to get back to Rushcutters Bay. They were stopping at Woolloomooloo. They pointed out Russell Crowe's home, whom they have bumped into their parking garage. It was a fun conversation. They told me their favorite coffee shop was up the 107 steps closer to where I was staying. Out of curiosity, I stopped in. Even though Australia is known for its coffee, I still hadn't tried any.
   





No comments:

Post a Comment