Pages

Friday, September 1, 2023

BRUUUUUUUUUCE Springsteen

Springsteen returned to New Jersey yesterday, and Don and I saw the show from the nosebleed seats. I found a USA Today article that sums up the show better than I can. Seven years ago (two days after my birthday) we saw him play in Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia -- a much smaller venue. We were near the top of the stands then, but they have 42,901 seats vs. Met Life Stadium's 82,500 seat capacity. I don't know the number of seats sold -- they do not sell seats behind the stage, but they each sold floor seats, but the numbers still give you a sense of capacity. When I buy tickets to concerts and Broadway shows, I tend to buy the cheapest seat that still allows me to be in the "room." That said, I wish I had splurged to be a little closer. Our seats were $60. I've heard some of the people on the floor paid $1,900 each. There was room for compromise. If it wasn't for the giant screens, I'd have no idea what was happening. 

The web is pretty amazing in that you can find information such as the SET LIST with only a few keystrokes. There was even someone showing the entire concert on FaceBook Live, which NCB, a.k.a. New Cousin Barbara, was watching from her home in Massachusetts while texting me about it (I didn't notice until the end of the concert).

  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. (Tour debut, first time with… more )
    Play Video
  10. Play Video
  11. (Commodores cover)
    Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. Play Video
  14. Play Video
  15. (Acoustic with Barry Danielian on trumpet)
    Play Video
  16. Play Video
  17. Play Video
  18. Play Video
  19. Play Video
  20. Play Video
  21. Play Video
  22. Play Video
  23. Encore:
  24. Play Video
  25. Play Video
  26. Play Video
  27. (Followed by Band Intros)
    Play Video
  28. (Pictures of Danny Federici and Clarence Clemmons)
    Play Video
  29. Encore 2:
  30. (solo, acoustic)


Newspaper accounts fall into either one of two camps:

1) This was an amazing show!

2) I expected more from Bruce and was highly disappointed.

You can't please everyone.

As I'm typing this I'm listening to the concert using the FB link. I'm so glad I was not in the pit with the obnoxious people singing louder than Bruce, but off-key and a bit drunk. Too crowded for my taste. He is also giving a running commentary throughout the show. While I'm enjoying it at home, it would have annoyed me to no end live. Unless the pervasive scent of pot relaxed me enough to tolerate the scene. Yes, now that CBD is legal you can smell it everywhere. Don noticed the people down the row from us were removed, probably because it is illegal to smoke anything in the venue.

We were in the rafters, section 334, row 20. When there was a chance of rain, Don said chances are I chose seats so high up we'd be under the slight overhang. He was right. Fortunately, the weather was beyond perfect -- 70s and clear enough to enjoy the stunning blue super moon. Towards the end of the show, a breeze picked up, but we were comfortable in our t-shirts.

We last saw Springsteen perform in 2016 at Citizens Bank Park (home to the Philadelphia Phillies). That was a record breaking 4 hours, 3 minutes, and 56 second show, his longest in the United States. This slow clocked in at 3 hours with only one additional song.

The setlist was the same set list that has been performed in the 65 shows he has done so far on this tour. Somewhere I read, he has done 66 different songs in the 65 shows he has done so far. Then he announced "Here's a little beach music for you" as an introduction to the only deviation in his set: "Sherry Darling" -- the first time the E Street Band has performed live since 2017. In that way, it was similar to when he performed on Broadway. Even as a casual Springsteen fan, I could tell they band had the set list memorized. There were the briefest of pauses between songs. It ran like a well-oiled machine. He was happy to be playing on home turf. As I quipped when we saw Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden, he was home before we got out of the stadium.

That said, he is 73 years old (turning 74 in September). I didn't stand through the entire concert, nor did I sing that much, and I certainly did not play guitar. He is still bringing his A-game to the stadium. Last week he cancelled (postponed until 2024) his Philadelphia shows. 

I also noticed the lack of signs. Later I read you were not allowed to bring signs into the stadium (though some managed to sneak them in -- I won't ask how). In 2016 those signs had a lot of song requests on them -- he is not taking requests in this tour.

My observations, he is aging like a fine wine. He seemed more generous with sharing the spotlight with most of the 18-member backup band, especially with saxophonist Jake Clemons, and Little Stevie. He still works the crowd and moves as close to them as security will allow. Coming up the stairs Don and I both observed he seemed to lean on the mic for support for a moment. Still spryer than I feel 20 years his junior.

After one of his songs he handed his harmonica to a preteen girl up front. The look on his face was (dare I say) grandfatherly. Her eyes were enormous! It is a moment neither she nor her mom standing behind her will ever forget. He also handed guitar picks to a couple of other children in the front of the audience.

My favorite part was when he stopped singing and told the story of his friend George who invited him to join his band when Bruce was a 15-year old. It was Bruce's first band. George died in 2018. Four days before his death he wrote "Last Man Standing," which he performed acoustically for us, with Barry on trumpet. The rest of the band had a chance to drink something and hit the backstage port-a-potty. I'm always amazed at Bruce's stamina to not only perform, but not take a breath or a sip of water the entire time he is on stage. Maybe he sneaks them in when he swaps out his guitars (how many different ones does he use in a show?).

My second favorite song was "Nightshift" a Commodores cover song. As NCB typed to me, "Jacquie (echo Jacquie Jacquie)." What are you doing now? She set the world on fire. She is a friend of mine.... How could it not make me smile to hear The Boss sing that to me?

My third favorite was "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" with a montage to "The Big Man," Clarence Clemons and Danny Federici. Even I was crying.

I love his second encore, a solo acoustic rendering of "I'll see you in my dreams." As he told Little Stevie, "no one wants to go home," so like the rest of those glued to their spots in the stadium, when he left the stage I hoped he would return and sing a few more songs. "Born in the USA," "Jersey Girl," he has over 265 published songs -- about ten times what he performed that night. No set list would make everyone happy. This set list reached throughout his entire career.

Here are some pictures from the show:












After the show we dawdled waiting for traffic to die down. We were rewarded with a stunning view of the New York City skyline behind the American Dream mall's Ferris Wheel.

With rush hour traffic, it took us just over two hours to get to the stadium. With the truck lanes closed on the NJ Turnpike, it took us about an hour and 15 minutes to drive home. The stadium was encouraging people to take mas transit. They were running extra trains until 1 AM, and extra buses to go to the Secaucus Transfer Station, from which you could take a train to most places in New Jersey, or use their parking lot instead of paying $40 to park at the stadium. We opted to park in the parking lot (along with many, many other fans).

What a great night to be in New Jersey!


Update: a week later Bruce cancelled the rest of his shows for the month of September due to illness. Get well soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment