Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Great Barrier Reef boat portion

When booking our trip to Australia one of Don's few requests was to go to the Great Barrier Reef

We checked in to our tour at 7:30 am, for an 8 am boat ride out to the reef. Our cruise had the longest, slowest moving line, which was reflected throughout the day in their low-stress, mellow vibe. There was no drama. Pure relaxation.

Viator.com booked our trip through Down Under Dive on the Evolution. I could see counters for other catamaran expeditions. Throughout the day we saw the other boats doing basically what we did. 

I was very pleased with our experience. It helped the water was as smooth as it gets, though the did offer a 2-pack of anti nausea medicine for $3AUD ($1.70). For that price, they should just include it in the ticket since it behooves the crew if we all take it. We were committed to buying it after hearing horrors stories from people who never get sick on boats, but did on similar outings.


With 152 passengers, we had a full boat.

Seasickness pills available on the boat

Used these for the trip back



Our assigned seat was with two German women in their early 20s traveling in Australia for three weeks, and Ian and Joy, a slightly older Aussie couple wanting to travel before they retire. We later learned Joy quit her job rather than being forced to be vaccinated, and Ian was using his leave time -- a couple of months of paid leave Australians are given every few years on top of their already generous by American standards vacation time. They were taking an RV around the country.

It was in the 80s both in the air and in the water. Blue skies. A few puffy white clouds. Absolutely perfect weather.

Our first stop was at an exclusive Cairns Reef. After a buffet lunch, we went to Hastings Reef.

We shed our outer layers, grabbed our snorkel and flippers and went to the back of the boat the float out into the water. 




Prior to the trip I bought a cheap underwater camera for not much more than a disposable camera plus developing would have cost. I wish I had tried out the camera before the trip, even if it meant using it in the town pool. While underwater I had no idea if I was taking any pictures. After I uploaded them I see the default date is on them -- which is not at all the date we were there. They are still nice pictures and I am glad I took them.

Me











Don











To paraphrase Stephen Sondheim's Little Red Riding Hood, "the farther from the boat, the pretty the coral." The further from the boat I floated, the more colorful the coral and fish became. I did see a few fish, and thought I captured them in a picture. It certainly felt as if I was invading their turf, though no one complained. 

Don and I were quickly separated. We were pulled in different directions. As soon as I put my face in the water I felt all alone until I saw another pair of legs or bumped into the rope around the boat. I took pictures because that is part of how I enjoy an experience.

Overall, I wished I booked different flights so I could have gone SCUBA diving. You need 24 hours from when you fly to dive safely. It was included in the package, and when am I going to get another opportunity to do so? I think if I had done that, I would have seen even prettier corals and fish.

Don found the official photographer. He had a generic picture of himself underwater. I never did see the photographer, though I did look out for her. I also did not see the SCUBA divers. They went off the other side of the catamaran. 

The highlight of the trip for me was the helicopter ride we took from Hastings Reef. Our time slot was in the middle of the two hours we could snorkel, so it did cut down on our time underwater, but being over the water was amazing! Pictures from that experience are in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment