Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Sydney Harbour Bridge and Luna Park


I left the Sydney Opera House and hunted through The Rocks for the stairs to climb to the walking level of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Many told me I should go to the top, but without those peers in person, I was impervious to their peer pressure. Instead I walked across the bridge to Luna Park. Unlike the one in the St. Kilda section of Melbourne, this one was on my list of must-see places.

I made very few notes about this part of the trip, so I will tell it in photos.


No matter where you go, you'll always
find locks, which someone else
has to cut off for the safety of the bridge.


Instead of paying $300,
and been strapped into a jumpsuit,
I could have gone to the top of the pylon
with my camera. I still passed.




On the walkway, you hardly noticed
the cars

One side is for the pedestrians



The other side is for bicycles
Australian Angel sculpture
created for the 2000 Olympics and
Paralympics




















Luna Park was visible from the other side of Sydney Harbour. Unlike the one in Melbourne, you can walk the grounds for free. However, if you want to ride any rides, you must purchase an all-day pass. As they did not have any wooden roller coasters, I did not buy a pass. If I could have bought a ticket to ride one ride, as was the case in Melbourne, I would have chosen Coney Island Funnyland because it is the oldest operating fun house in the world. Much of the original artwork is still on display. 


The amusement park was in the news last week because they are unveiling a new immersive attraction based on the circus. In the article they said the ticket prices are $45 for adults and $35 for kids ($23/$30 USD), and goes up to $65/$75 if you purchase them that day. In Melbourne $20 got you in the gate and included one ride.

Luna Park (Sydney) originally opened in 1935, 23 years after Luna Park in Melbourne, and 32 years after Luna Park in Coney Island, NY opened. It is a little confusing. In April 1979 their wooden coaster, the Big Dipper, had an accident an injured people. A few months later, the Ghost Train caught fire and killed seven people, and the park was immediately shut down to investigate. The Wikipedia page gives a lot more details about the history. Part of its struggle was that it was noisy and the residents of the apartment building immediately next door complained about the noise.



Yes, the apartments are THAT close






Thinking this was the only time I would be on that side of the harbor, I walked around the neighborhood surrounding the bridge.









After walking around Luna Park and that part of town, I fully intended to take the ferry back across the river, but missed it by a few minutes and decided to walk back across the half-mile long bridge. I ended up doing a lot of walking that day -- even by my standards.

I walked to the New South Wales State Library, also known a the Mitchell Library. After falling in love with the Victoria State Library in Melbourne, I was ready to fall in love with this library. Their big claim to fame is their Tudor Shakespeare Room. Any fan of Shakespeare would drool over the collection and melt into the window seat. I am not a fan of Shakespeare. 




I also passed through the NWS State Library exhibit on the 400th anniversary of the First Folio in their Amaze Gallery.

I'm glad I went there. On a later walk I saw the enormous addition that houses most of the library. The old section I was in was mostly a museum.

I promised Don I would visit the LEGO store for him. Central Business District (CBD) in Sydney is in the process of building a three-story location, which will then become the largest LEGO store in the world. I saved the walk to the one in the Broadway district, which sadly did not have any theaters in it, for another day. 












While walking there I stumbled upon Il Porcellino -- a 50-year old replica of the 500-year old Florentine statue. I can't believe I saw both of them in the same year. 

Legend has it if you rub the nose you will return. In April, I rubbed the nose, but Don did not. I ended up seeing it again in Sydney, but Don did not. Coincidence?

I took a different path back to the room just so I could see something new. This path took me past a Woolworths, or Woolly's as the locals call it, so I bought some groceries. After putting them in the room's refrigerator, I went out for dinner at local bistro around the corner from where I was staying. I sat at the bar and listened to locals stopping in to chat and pick up take out. The hostess seemed to know most diners. I had eggplant parmesan.

I took the drizzly weather, and tired feet, as a sign I should relax at the AirBNB. I was able to catch up with Don via text, which made it feel as if he was in the room with me.


 













No comments:

Post a Comment