Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2026

Go Thunder!

I have been a fan of Trenton Thunder practically since they first opened their doors in 1993. For a few years Don bought me the ten-pack of tickets with the anticipation I would use most of the tickets on myself. When I go to a game I grab a score card, sit down, and watch the game. Everyone else is getting up to buy snacks or go to the bathroom, but I'm glued in my seat enjoying it all.

My love of the game shifted a few years ago when we lost our AA team and became part of the new Draft League. The Draft League is a chance for the college players to play more ball and for Canadian players to step up their game. That's the first half of the season. Once they return to college teams, the second half are recent college graduates who still want a chance to pursue their dreams. 

Ideally many are drafted into the major league system. After all, it is in their name. This means fans don't form the same connections to players that we used to in the days of Shelley Duncan and Nomar Garciaparra, or witness rehab assignments like Derek Jeter. 

At the beginning of the season a friend invited me to a game in a suite. That was fun. It reminded me of the days when a the father of a friend of Ashley's had access to a suite and we held playdates in the suite during day games when the employees couldn't use the suite. Those were fun times. Sadly not documented well enough because they mostly took place before I had a digital camera.

This season a friend's son has a job with the State College Spikes, one of the away teams. When they've been in town, Debbi has reached out to me at the last moment with a ticket or two. The seats are behind home plate. For most people, they are ideal seats. For me, though, they are not where I like to sit.

My preferred spot is with the season ticket holders behind the Thunder dugout. Seats that now sport names on them to encourage the season ticket holders to return, and to mark them as belonging to someone. 

Or at least adjacent to them.

Carmine has been the usher for that section for years. We first bonded when he noticed my Muhlenburg Mom hat four years ago after Thunder reopened. He was getting ready to celebrate his 50th reunion from Ashley's school. He always greets me with a warm smile.

Sunday night was the last time the Spikes would be in town this season. The season is already too short. It only takes place from June through August, unlike the AA season that starts in April and goes through the playoffs in mid-September. My favorite experiences have been sipping hot chocolate on an April evening in a fairly empty stadium when only the diehard fans are in attendance.

Last night's game mimicked those feels. The game had a 50 minute rain delay.
The rest of the game threatened rain. I felt the coaches were trying to teach the players lessons that night. Lessons like the weather is not always going to be perfect, you have to adjust. Lessons like I am not pulling you out just because you loaded up the bases, figure out how to get out of it without blowing the four-run lead. 

Mike, one of the other long-time ushers, was shouting advice to the pitcher, "You've got seven guys behind them, use them. Not every pitch has to be perfect." Little kids were chanting, "Pitcher's got a big butt." I laughed. Been a long time since I've heard that taunt. The kid behind me was shouting encouragement to each Thunder batter.

This is what I've loved about watching a game at Waterfront Park.  

It is fun seeing Boomer run the bases (though now they keep him in the outfield, which is not as much fun). As that night wore on there were less fans filling the slots. They put an usher into service for the "Are you smarter than a Fifth Grader?" segment. No one stood for the Hometown Hero during the seventh inning stretch. Only a soloist for both the National Anthem and "God Bless America." The vibe was only those who really wanted to be there were in the stands. The other went home, or didn't bother showing up.

As the forecast was calling for storms all night I nearly didn't go. Sitting there I kept thinking it would rain again and I'd go home. The game kept playing and I became happier. 

I'm so glad I did as I fell in love with the game again that night. 







No comments:

Post a Comment