As soon as I was falling into the groove of going to Thunder games, the season was over.
I did go to the second game of the season, and a couple of games here and there when Debbi and Mike's son's team was in town, but it took going on a rainy night when the season was almost over before I fell in love with going again.
Last week Debbi handed me a couple of
free passes, and even a parking pass. How could I not go? I did try to get a friend to go with me, but I didn't try that hard. I love sitting in Carmine's section, up close, with my feet propped up on the Thunder dugout listening to season ticket holders and their friends as I have an unobstructed view. Yes, I keep the seats of season ticket holders warm. If those seats became truly available, I'd be encouraged to spend my summer legitimately in those seats. They feel magical.
I went to Thursday's game. Despite the near certainty the game would be called on account of rain, I went early to collect a pink Thunder shirt. I don't really need more t-shirts, but this one caught my eye. I sat in my car until the game was called.
The next night, the second to the last of the season, was fun. In the eighth inning kids a couple of sections away tried hard to get the 2,000 of us still there to do the wave. After a half dozen attempts, they were successful. I cheered louder for them then I did for the players.
I applaud the players for sticking with the dream, but I am tired of the Draft League. The first half of our too short season is made up of college players trying to get extra experience. Around the Fourth of July is the All-Star Game. Some are drafted to the majors, the rest return to college for fall training. The team then becomes filled with recent college graduates not willing to give up on their dreams. They are all about 22-26 years old. As they are drafted they go to their new teams, and we are happy for them.
The real result is, it is hard to build excitement about getting to know the players. They are not here long enough. When they leave, it is not up to the same team as had happened when they were a AA team, but to a wide variety of teams.
At the game I noticed the pitcher, Billy Morris was also batting as the Designated Hitter, which is uncommon in our ballpark. In the past we were with National League teams. Up until 2022, in the American League the pitcher also batted, but that is the year they instituted the Designated Hitter Rule. When I asked a season ticket holder why he was batting, he commented he is just that good. In the lead up to that game, he was 10 for 19, which is much higher than most batters. He also didn't let any opposing runners score that night.
For the past few years we've left the season hoping for an announcement that we'll gain a AA team again. Heck, at this point we'll take a single-A team. I have noticed the staff is less inclined to say there will be an announcement soon. I suspect they, too, have grown tired of being met with eye rolls when they make those proclamations.
Meanwhile, people sign up for season tickets and leave their seats empty.
I yearn for returning on a cold day in April and watch the new season unfold as I sip a cup of hot chocolate, and keep score with my eyes glued to the game and oblivious to the lines at the concession stand.
Fortunately, Boomer and the bat dogs remain a constant.
No comments:
Post a Comment