Fresh off of my dig in Gatineau, QC and my interview by CTV in Ottawa, I went to a dig much closer to home at The College of New Jersey. TCNJ, then Trenton State College (TSC) is where I went on my first dig around 1990.
My archaeology friends joined me for a public dig at The College of New Jersey. Two years ago Dan and I learned about the public archaeology day. We had so much fun! I think the intention was for the public to ooh and ahh over what the students were doing, and give a chance for the students to show off to their family members how they spent the summer semester playing in the dirt. Instead we arrived with trowels and tools and got in the dirt. About that same time we connected with Keith at Newlin Grist Mill, which has since turned into a regular digging experience for me.
This year I went in already feeling great. I have more experience than I did two years earlier, plus I brought more friends with me. The four of us, Martha and Mark joined Dan and I, went in and took over a square. We showed the students you can keep digging long after you graduate from college.
Dan is now known on TikTok and instagram as DanDigs. He posts videos teaching the public about archaeology. I was a rock star just for brining him with me (even though he was the one to tell me about the dig). George, the professor in charge of the archaeology program at my alma mater, encouraged him to create a quick video about his site.
I was also a rock star because I was part of the original program back in the 1990's that started the archaeology program. The school only dug two or three years before abandoning the program. Carolyn Metz was the anthropology program at the time. Upon retirement, she served in the Peace Corps. I wish I had kept in touch with her. I'm sad to see she passed away in 2018. She impacted my life in ways she never knew. Remember that teacher friends and family, you are making positive impacts you might never learn about, but it is true.
In 2013 TCNJ hired George. A couple of years later he restarted the William Green Farmhouse Dig and teaches multiple archaeology classes each semester. A huge change from when the anthropology teacher happened to teach an archaeology class. He reached out to Professor Metz and was able to pick her brain. Now I'm even more determined to see if I kept my notes from that class.
The four of us work like a team. We have so much fun together. We talked to the
students and recent alumni about places one can dig as a volunteer, and how to learn about more opportunities.
A clear highlight for me was that for once I had the shortest drive.
I'm working with George to see if I can audit one of his classes. He is teaching one on Slavery and Archaeology that ties in nicely with my planned dig at Montpelier in September.
Dan, of course, found some Philadelphia slipware. I found another nail. Mostly we found community and a home.
No comments:
Post a Comment