While at Colonel By Day at the Bytown Museum we learned about a public dig taking place the next day at Lac Phillippe in Gatineau Park. As our plans had called for hiking in Gatineau Park, we shifted so I could dig while Don went hiking. I then coerced him into hiking with me to find Lusk Cave.
Monica and Bob are the only two archaeologists working for the NCC (National Capital Commission) in Ottawa/Gatineau. They run public archaeology digs in August, which is Quebec's Archaeology Month. Their more exciting one is the following week at Lac Leamy, which was really close to our hotel. This dig was a 40 minute drive from Gatineau, even though both were in Gatineau.
I mostly dug with Alain, a retired government official. He told me the group digs regularly throughout the year. When it is too cold to dig they wash artifacts. They even have an annual holiday party.
Yes, I wanted to join the group! I hope to return next summer for the Lac Leamy portion. I'm trying to talk my friends into joining me.
This site was lovely. We were steps away from a brand new shelter with bathrooms, ice cold water fountains, and a porch overlooking the lake. The lake provided a nice gentle breeze.
Monica and Bob kept setting up tents to keep us shaded. Though it was 75 degrees with a beautiful blue sky and no humidity, they deemed it hot and stopped early. Though the afternoon shift did not start until 1, and I thought it was to go until 4:30, but 3:50 they took our screens and told us to start cleaning up. We were done cleaning up before 4:30.
Insert frown.
Each site is a little different. I've learned to ask questions before starting. Questions that often make the people in charge of the program realize I know
what I'm talking about. Sample questions: what are we looking for? Is there anything we should discard? Are we digging until we see a difference in the soil or aiming for a specific depth? Do you want to see what we find before we dump the screen? Other questions might come to mind.
what I'm talking about. Sample questions: what are we looking for? Is there anything we should discard? Are we digging until we see a difference in the soil or aiming for a specific depth? Do you want to see what we find before we dump the screen? Other questions might come to mind.
In this case they were most interested in First Nation material. This includes quartz, something I was discarding at Red Bank because there was too much there to keep, and because it was not what they are studying there. At Lac Phillippe they were aiming for 20 cm. (less than eight inches), but did appreciate when I pointed out the changes in soil. They trusted me not to discard anything important.
The sites were one meter by one meter, and measure in centimeters. We used tiny tin buckets, and small screens. People offered to lift the bucket for me. I shooed them off since they were less than half the size of what I'm used to hoisting.
The soil was mottled. They do not use a Munsell Soil Guide to identify the soil colors. I like Munsell. It so expensive, but it feels like real archaeology when it is brought out at a site. Instead they come up with their own descriptions and say it is not an exact science.
When we started I was told they never find nails, yet I found one almost immediately. It seemed like a new nail. I suspect it came from when they built the new structure last year (or so).
I was interviewed by Canadian TV. Ashley watched it. She was surprised just how much they interviewed me and included me in the story. I knew the mission -- be the charming international digger and make the day look like fun. As a former journalist who has been on the other side of the interview, I understood the goal, and did it. Cecilia, the newscaster, hovered taking footage of me digging. It was a bit much.
I had a fabulous time! Shared the link with my archaeology friends. Don is happy he was able to find something for me to do that would not have been possible to do in the Azores. I had a friend who was digging there last month, but had returned before our original trip would have landed.
I'm impressed we found a way to make up for the Azores, which we hope to reschedule. Trip insurance came through.
Afterwards we hiked 5 kilometers to the Lusk Cave. Most was on a road. Last kilometer was up a hill with built-in stairs. Hearing that bats like to sleep inside the cave was enough to keep me outside of it.
As we walked towards the top, a couple
warned us of a wasps' nest that was exposed when a tree fell right after they had walked next to it. We also saw a family tending to their youngest with scraped knees who was clearly tired of hiking. There were lots of people staying on campsites in the area, but few on the trails in the late afternoon. The campground had running water, showers, and even laundry facilities.
warned us of a wasps' nest that was exposed when a tree fell right after they had walked next to it. We also saw a family tending to their youngest with scraped knees who was clearly tired of hiking. There were lots of people staying on campsites in the area, but few on the trails in the late afternoon. The campground had running water, showers, and even laundry facilities.
Most of those digging were staying on site, which made sense as we drove at least 30 minutes before we found a place to eat dinner. I was happy to return to a real bed. Don is up for trying camping there next year. We'll see. Maybe I'll leave him at the campsite next year while I sleep in a real bed.
We returned to Meech &Munch in Old Chelsea for dinner, and had ice cream
around the corner at La Cigale, a place recommended by Monica. Cigale is cicada in French, the name is meant to evoke the sounds of summer, which makes sense since they only have an outdoor eating area. They have a booth where you order your treat, and then you walk over to pick it up from the counter. Many of the tables had games built into them. Lights strung. Garden atmosphere. A sign announcing when they are closed due to bad weather. Wish they also had an indoor dining area so we could go there year-round. They are located around the corner from the Nordic Spa.
around the corner at La Cigale, a place recommended by Monica. Cigale is cicada in French, the name is meant to evoke the sounds of summer, which makes sense since they only have an outdoor eating area. They have a booth where you order your treat, and then you walk over to pick it up from the counter. Many of the tables had games built into them. Lights strung. Garden atmosphere. A sign announcing when they are closed due to bad weather. Wish they also had an indoor dining area so we could go there year-round. They are located around the corner from the Nordic Spa.
A week later I followed up with Alain. He told me they found a firepit. My immediate thought was that Dan would have found that on the first day. Alain sent me some pictures.
I still need to reach out to Monica and Bob to thank them for the experience. That was the highlight of my week in Ontario. Dreaming about returning next year with friends.




No comments:
Post a Comment