Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Thursday Drive to Canada

We decided to rent a car for our drive to Canada. We love both of our cars, but they are 18 years old. Rental cars have better gas mileage, empty trunks, newer technology, and no need for us to do extra car maintenance. 

That said, with no plans in place, we packed peanut butter sandwiches and drinks for the drive and got a late start.

At the first rest stop I went to the bathroom while Don filled up our tank. We use a rental car company that does not start with full tanks, but is close to home. The bathroom door was locked. The person inside said "we have a cat emergency."

A cat emergency? I expected a toddler issue or an elderly person issue, but cat?

Feeling bad for me, they opened the door. Inside were two women and a large grey cat named Gonzo. Gonzo had had an accident in his carrier. Seeing me as an ally, Gonzo proceeded to rub up against me. After asking the humans, I picked him up.

The women were stunned.

They gathered his carrier and asked me to put him inside. I directed them to stand it upright so I could use gravity to put him in. A trick I once learned from a vet.

Gonzo easily slid in. The women locked the door. Thanked me profusely and dashed away for the last leg of their trip.

My good deed for the day.

The rest of the drive was smooth. At the border we were behind one truck. Only one truck. Only one lane was open. Since we signed up for Nexus we have not had any waits at the border.

Easy drive on a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment