Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Morning Archaeology Mourning Find

I am convinced, God has a sense of humor.

Dad passed away on July 15th. A week later I was at Newlin Grist Mill digging when a black, glass bead was found. We have found a lot of buttons lately, more than typical, as if a child found mom's button collection and played with them, perhaps even buried them or hid them in the add-on room before it was collapsed. One week we found six buttons -- all different. Keith, our site archaeologist, said about 20 of these black glass buttons have been found here.

Rather than saying, what a nice button, please put it in a medicine bottle, he said, let's talk about the button.

As great teachers often do to engage their students, he starts with a question: why do you think we have found so many black buttons?

I knew the answer, but also knew I didn't have it in me to talk about Victorian mourning rituals only a week after dad's passing, two days before his funeral, so I kept quiet.

Back in the late 19th century people did not have many clothes. They may have only had one outfit to work in, and a Sunday best outfit. Wealthier people had more, obviously. Poorer people aspired to emulate the wealthy classes. The wealthier classes went into full mourning when their loved ones died. They wore black from head to toe. The poorer classes did what they did, including changing buttons on their shoes from white to black. These are shoes that required button hooks to attach.

The trend ended around WWI when so many people were dying the pendulum swung to partying in the Roaring Twenties.

But that day, a button was found, and a discussion about Victorian mourning practices ensued. As I commented on my pink skin guard shirt, Keith saw beyond that to the black tank top I wore underneath, pointing out I was wearing black.  

No comments:

Post a Comment