Sixteen months ago Asbury Park hosted the Color and Light Festival. It was March. We lucked out with the weather, but it was still an odd time of year for a beach town to host this type of festival. We loved it so much we went to Binghamton, NY that September for their annual festival.
When I learned the festival was returning this July I was interested. I was also busy with the church mission trip, and Don had plans to go to a music festival in Pittsburgh. To squeeze in a quick trip to Asbury Park that weekend seemed unlikely.
Then dad passed away. I came home early. Don cancelled his getaway. Ashley wanted to bond with us.
We loved the 20-minute show. Like last year, it is a compilation of several artists who created images that perfectly fit the side of Asbury Park's convention center.
The big change this year is that due to construction, the west wall is under scaffolding. They moved it to the north wall, which meant we were spilling over from the boardwalk onto the beach. We were crammed into a much smaller space, watching on a much small screen.
I wonder at what point the artist learned the space was different from last year?
There seemed to be many more volunteers this year who guided us to the viewing area. The crowd seemed more prepared. Some had folding chairs with them. Lots of people stretched their arms up high to use their cell phones to film the show. I'm guilty of doing the same to take pictures.
After each iteration, the crowd thinned and we moved closer to the front. By our third viewing (second all the way through), we were sitting in the front.
We got lucky with the weather. Friday night was a perfect night at the Jersey Shore. Saturday, though, was anticipating some violent weather. I wonder how they made out.
Afterwards we figured Day's Ice Cream
was already closed. We got lucky and saw that Coney's Waffles and Ice Cream on the boardwalk in Asbury Park stayed open late. We all opted for Jersey Devil ice cream, which made me wonder how much a fun name impacts sales? I'm sure someone has studied that.
The show is inspiring me to think about returning to Binghamton for this year's festival. After all, it is only a three hour drive away.
| From inside the Convention Center |
No comments:
Post a Comment