Pages

Monday, September 30, 2024

When you sit too close to the stage!

Eight years ago Don scored lottery tickets to "Hamilton," which landed Ashley and I in the front row at the Richard Rogers Theater. That experience was amazing! 

This weekend we ordered tickets to see "Ghost of John McCain" at the SoHo Playhouse. They seated us in the very front row. 

That was not so amazing.

I was wrestling with the difference and came up with the size of the stage. Last night I was eye level with the actors as my knees were crushed up against the stage. At times the left the stage using the step I was resting my foot on due to the lack of space. The theater used every inch possible to squeeze in 130-140 seats. I didn't even need my glasses. Had there been an intermission, I suspect we would have moved back a few rows. I'm just grateful it was not an audience participation kind of show.



I have no idea how Don managed to take a curtain call picture of all six actors. My attempts only captured 4 or  at a time. 

The show is timely and panders to its audience. I think it is overpriced. Don said it matched the reviews he read, so he shouldn't be disappointed.

I am glad I saw the theater. Shows such as Job have started there and landed on Broadway. It would be cool to see something before it makes it to the big leagues up the island.

A few days later we sat in the front row to see "Alma" at Passage Theater in Trenton. That had a lot more leg room and did not feel too close.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment