Pages

Friday, September 6, 2024

Double-Nickel Birthday

A year ago I celebrated my birthday in New Zealand. Don greeted me with "Happy Double-Nickel Birthday!" I reminded him I was only 54, no need to rush things. The birthday felt odd because I was away from everyone I know, with the exception of Don, plus I was a day ahead of just about everyone I knew. The Facebook birthday greetings didn't appear until a day late.

The actual day was a bit bizarre. It started with my working, which is not something I have done much of in the past year. I was also disappointed because the day before when I told someone it was my birthday she instantly asked "what's your favorite kind of cake?" A question that immediately got me thinking she would bring in a cake for my birthday. When she came in late, I thought "ah! She must be buying me a cake! How sweet!" No, there was no cake. She did say "Happy Birthday," but no cake. Until she asked me that question, I never imagined a celebration would take place -- after all it was only a four-week temp gig. The following week she brought in cupcakes that matched my favorite cake (carrot cake). I made muffins to celebrate, but since so few people were in that day, I took most of them home.

Rather than going out to dinner (one of the few times a year I feel being treated to going out), Don made lasagna for us. Yes, nice, but eating out means no clean up or work on my part, eating in always involves some work on my part.

I took a nap after work as I realized Glinda, our beloved bearded dragon, passed awayI put her back in her tank and said we'd worry about it the next day.



The highlight of the actual day came when we went to the opening night for Becky's New Car at Somerset Valley Players. We've been involved with the theater over the years so I knew a few people involved with the show. Opening night means a cast party afterwards. The same three people kept wishing me Happy Birthday, making it feel like dozens. They went along with my joke that the party was in honor of my birthday.

There were some other celebrations of my birthday. My parents had us over for dinner before seeing a Thunder game. They gave me a shirt I now wear when I go on archaeology digs that says "I Dig Archaeology." Someone always comments and smiles at it when they see it -- before saying they want one for themselves.


Don took me to Pastis in New York City's Meatpacking District for an amazing quiche -- my favorite meal on the planet. We followed that with lots of walking around, and capped off the day with seeing the long-running Perfect Crime.

Sylvia took me to a bookstore to buy a book. Honestly, just spending time with her was the gift. 

Peggy, from book club, and I have a tradition of going out to lunch to celebrate our September birthdays. The group doesn't celebrate birthdays, but a few years ago the two of us decided to go rogue and go out to lunch together. It is a nice, low-key tradition.


This year my girl surprised me with a gift card to Jammin' Crepes in Princeton. For years that has been our place to celebrate the beginning and end of the school year just ourselves. It was a little tricky finding time on our schedules -- she had off on my birthday, but I worked. We both had off on a Monday, but the café was closed. Finally we had a match and managed to celebrate while it was still my birthday month.

I also sign up for a bunch of birthday promos and try to use all of them. My favorite is the $5 coupon to an ice cream parlor we used to frequent in Princeton. We enjoyed many blend-in treats when I was pregnant with Ashley. This was one of her first outings, though she did not get any ice cream that day.

Still, there was a part of me hoping for a party. I just don't know who I would invite. I recently had this discussion with a friend about how neither one of us is part of a large group of friends. For the most part, my friends don't know each other. When they meet, they get along, but organizing a group activity means it is easy to forget someone, which means feelings might get slighted. I never want to slight anyone. Which is why I don't end up planning a birthday party for myself. It is hard enough for the three of us to get together. I don't know when a birthday party would fit on the calendar. However, as I did throw a 60th birthday party for Don and a graduation party for Ashley, it would have been nice to be the center of a party celebrating my Double-Nickel Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment