Pages

Monday, September 30, 2024

Art After Dark


Saturday night was one of those rare times when life seemed to click into place just right. Both Don and Ashley were working, and I was sitting at home looking at Facebook when I noticed an event: Arts After Dark from 4-9 pm on the grounds of Smithville Mansion in Burlington County (sunset these days is just before 7 pm). Brittney was displaying artwork, and I had meant to see her art display, but it never quite made the calendar. When I realized it was only a half an hour away, I decided to drive down, check it out, and be home around dark. I really thought I would spend more time driving to and from then I would spend at the event, but I was going a little stir crazy and needed to get out of the house.

I was pleasantly surprised by the entire event and wished I had brought a friend with me.

The parking lot was filling up quickly. Walking past the two food trucks, a large tent with vendors, and smaller tents with flyers and smaller vendors I was beginning to think the rapture had taken place, leaving everyone's cars behind. 

First I entered the Underground Railroad Museum. What a surprise! The museum started in the home of Louise Calloway, and moved to the grounds of the Smithville Mansion about a decade ago. She passed away last year at the age of 93. I caught the tail end of a passionate presentation being given by the president. I walked in when she said slavery was finally abolished by the 50th state in 2013 when Mississippi FINALLY ratified the 13th amendment. Technically the ratified it in 1995 (sheesh!) but failed to file the proper paperwork to the US Archivist. The woman said she gives talks to corporations because it is her mission to spread the word to everyone -- not just school groups. It is probably also the mission of the museum, but coming from her you can tell it is a vocation and not just a job. I'm sorry I didn't catch her name, I wrongly thought I'd find it through a quick google search. She told me about a walking artist named Ken Johnston who is personally retracing the paths taken by Harriet Tubman. The term walking artist is a new one to me, so I am going to leave it here with a link to the UK website as the concept resonates with me, and I decide if it is a term I want to apply to myself. Ken walks to commemorate history.

No photos were allowed inside. The talk made enough of a lasting impression that I want to return one weekend (they are open on Saturdays and Sundays) to learn more.

Outside I went past more booths, and into another house, this one housing a temporary exhibit on the early days of moving images. It was cool, but something I wish I could share with someone.

Back outside I walked behind a brick wall when I finally saw a crowd of people. They were waiting for the unveiling a troll. That rang a bell -- Don had told me about Troll Trek, inspired by the artwork of international artist Thomas Dambo's Big Rusty in Hainesport, NJ, it is a collection of 19 trolls made out of recycled materials appearing throughout Burlington County. Saturday night was the kick-off for the trail as two trolls were being unveiled, one using plastic bottle caps, and the other out of bicycle parts. I scored a map. Don and I will consider it a challenge to see all of them.

While waiting for the second one to be unveiled, I saw Brittney. Brittney was Ashley's beloved high school art teacher. She was displaying her artwork in a way that reminded me of Art All Night, except she could display more than one piece.  I enjoyed visiting with her and her husband, and their assorted friends and family. 






I then thought to walk inside the main museum. When I saw the Penny-farthing (an early bicycle) I realized I had been there before. The place looked completely differently at night, especially during a festival. The old bicycle brought it back to me -- Ashley and I toured there in 2011 back when she was in fourth grade and I was trying to educate her on New Jersey history. 

What a treat that a quiet night at home turned into a really fun time. I stayed longer than planned, and even scored gas below $3/gallon for the first time in a long time ($2.89/charge). An added bonus, it was cold an rainy in Mercer County, and warmer and drier in Burlington County.

No comments:

Post a Comment