Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Smithville Mansion

Last month at the Howell Living History Farm's annual Fashion Show we met a lady who runs Smithville Mansion, Eleanor Dunker. Eleanor told us about Smithville Mansion and invited us to visit sometime. This might have been when the seed was planted for Ashley and I to spend the summer visiting historic sites.



The mansion is open for tours at 1, 2 and 3 PM on Wednesdays and Sundays. While driving around Whitesbog, I realized I had just enough time to make the 3 PM tour, so we hustled. As we parked the car at 2:57, I breathed a sigh of relief and we dashed across the street, only to find no one. Oh we did see a couple of women leaving from the 2 PM tour, and a place to purchase tickets, but no one to take our money or to lead the next tour. 

As we are walking around the place looking for someone, I start complaining in my head. Ashley called me on it. It seems she can tell when I am gathering my arguments, shall we say, based solely on body language. I was impressed that she knows me better than I know myself.

Prior to our visit, I emailed the director to let her know we are coming. I have learned from volunteering at Rockingham that some of these sites work with a small crew and sometimes they have to close to the public -- maybe they have a large tour planned and cannot accommodate more people, or maybe renovations are taking place, or maybe a volunteer calls out sick. No matter the reason, I don't want to drive over 30 minutes only to learn the site is closed for the day.

To make a long story short, we found Eleanor. She could not have been more charming. I was glad she recognized us in our 21st century attire (last time we saw her I was wearing a Colonial dress and Ashley was in her Laura Ingalls Wilder costume). She gave us a fascinating tour of the mansion and side buildings that was filled with lots of personal stories that made the mansion come alive.

H.B. Smith (of Smithville Mansion) was an inventor. He created a lot of tools and equipment out of iron and to work with iron. This Star Bicycle caught my attention. Unlike the popular Highwheelers of the day, the large wheel is in the back instead of in the front. This simple switch made the bicycle much faster -- which was important in races.

Eleanor told us about the history of the HB Smith and his descendants. I'll give you the very short version and entice you to visit to learn the juicy gossip -- HB's son, Elton, contested his father's will. When it was overturned in his favor, he then went into the house and destroyed all the furnishing and everything that was not nailed down the to walls or floor. Learning this before I went into the house I was expecting a bare home. It would not be the first time we went into a gorgeous mansion only to find the inside has only a few pieces of furniture. The William Trent House and Paulsdale come to mind.

I could not have been more wrong.

Eleanor and others have done a wonderful job researching the time and acquiring pieces of furniture and decorations that would have been appropriate to the time period. The most impressive piece in the collection is the bed they are using in HB's bedroom -- it was President James Polk's bed. It is on loan to Smithville.

Ashley loved the shoes and clothing on display. I must admit they are beautiful. The entire mansion is tastefully decorated and includes many details that make it come alive. Ashley was a little spooked out to find out that we were in the room where HB's second wife, Agnes, died.



I liked this wall sconce in the bathroom. It was a souvenir from the Statue of Liberty. Reminded me of our trip earlier this year.

Smithville Mansion is not far from Mount Holly, and should not be mixed up with Smithville that is closer to Atlantic City.

In addition to tours of the house, Smithville Mansion also has a small art gallery, regular croquet tournaments, and a summer concert series on Sundays. Now that we have been there for a tour, I'm hoping to return with Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment