Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

10K - Revolutionary Run

Today I ran my first 10K (6.2 miles), okay "walked my first 10K" would be much more of an accurate description. Hey, I survived and I even came in at the very tail end of my estimated goal of between 1:10 and 1:20. This was based on my best 5K (3.1 miles) time of 35:50 a few months ago, so 1:12 was probably the best I could have expected.

It was more about getting out in race conditions then it was about finishing with my best possible time.

Things in my favor:
1) I have been training a lot since that 5K.
2) I had a good dinner last night (thanks, Carin).
3) I had a good night's sleep.
4) I kept off my feet yesterday.
5) This race was only a 20 minute drive from home, and in familiar turf.
6) I had the best cheering squad (thanks Don and Ashley, and fellow runner Sharon). :)

Things not in my favor:
1) It was HUMID -- not hot, just sticky.
2) I only decided to do the race this morning, hence I kept up with my training schedule full-force last week instead of tapering.
3) I walked my tootsies off in NYC two days before the race.
4) My feet were wet before the race started due to the fog and wet grassy parking lot. I didn't realize how wet they were until I peeled off my socks when I came home and noted I had webbed feet.
5) The blister from Thursday's run hurt with each step.
6) I walked well over half of it.

All things considering, I'm pleased with my time. I was even more pleased with how I felt afterwards -- I could still walk. I ate right away. It wasn't until I sat down (a.k.a. the drive home) that my muscles ached. I was happy. I had the energy for that final push at the finish line and for smiling any time the paparazzi (Don) was nearby.

62 more days until the DisneyLand Half Marathon -- 13.1 miles, or more than twice today's run. If I double today's run, and add a bit for that extra mile, I'm around the 3 hour mark, which allows me and Joanie 30 minutes of leeway. We can do it!

2 comments:

  1. You go, Jacquie! I have faith in your perseverance... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great Jacquelyn - you'll rock Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete