Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Crafters Will Save Us

On Wednesday Governor Phil Murphy announced everyone has to wear masks while in public establisments in the state of New Jersey. The trouble is, there are not enough masks to go around.

Who will step up to save the world? The President? No, he is playing the blame game. The healthcare industry? No, they don't have enough masks for their own people.

The answer: crafters! 

Many (mostly women) are making masks out of whatever scrap fabric they have lying around their homes.

Pastor Nina made these for us:

I still can't believe I live in a world where we are encouraged to hide our faces, including our smiles. Apple was not prepared for this time since facial recognition software does not recognize me when I'm wearing a mask.

But I digress, I suspect many of these same women (or at least their friends) who made pink pussy hats while the President and his supporters were selling red MAGA hats made in China are now stepping up and making masks. They are showing the world that their crafts matter. They are not a way to spend money on UFOs (UnFinished craft Objects), but given enough time and a crisis, a way to save the world!

Another thought I've had lately is that Don's mom was preparing her entire life for the apocolypse. She had over 300 puzzles, 67 trashbags filled with yarn, much fabric that could now be turned into masks, and other cool ways to stay entertained during a pandemic. But, alas, I got rid of it all a couple of years ago.

If only I was better prepared for the end times.

No comments:

Post a Comment