Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Wishing to Go Back a Week

I've stopped posting my feelings on FaceBook because I am tired of arguing with pessimists who call themselves realists, and building up others holding out hope. Both are too emotionally draining.

Yesterday and today (April 7th and 8th) the Governor of New Jersey announced more stringent rules. This coincides with the news we are "flattening the curve"* around here, which makes me wonder. Is there something he is not telling us? 

Tuesday's announcement closed the state and county parks, including the one we walk in every night. Seems some people are not "social distancing" themselves enough.

In the Q&A session he strongly discouraged graduation ceremonies. Meanwhile Ashley's school (and many others) are insisting there will still be graduation and prom, might not be on the date planned, but they will happen.

Wednesday (today) he announced we all have to wear face masks while going retail shopping. He also announced schools closed until at least May 7th (earlier it was he would revisit it on April 17th). 

Tonight I am left wishing to return to the simpler days when we were over scheduled and overwhelmed, but at least we had futures. It seems every time I get used to the new rules, they become tighter. Wishing we had national guidelines on what to do, or else just let us all return to life before the pandemic and take our chances.

The predictions that it will be about 18 months before we have a solid vaccine are depressing. Mentally I add another few months before enough people receive the vaccine and we can count on herd immunity. 

Some say we can't be locked down like this for two years (just think of the businesses that have already closed), but no one is suggesting a timeline for reopening schools and houses of worship, let alone malls and stadiums. I know, no one has the crystal ball. I also know once we let down our guard, the virus will swoop in and attack with a vengeance.

Depressing times.

Yet in our town of 33,167 people, we only have 37 cases as of yesterday. Does that justify locking ourselves in our homes for up to two years?

I told Don I wished I had a crystal ball to tell me how this all pans out. He answered, he is not sure I could handle the news. That's an interesting perspective. That I'm better off being fed a bit of news at a time instead of all of it at once.

Meanwhile Broadway (New York City is an epicenter that said earlier in the week they are plateauing) announced they are dark until June 7th. 

Yet I continue to hold out hope for prom and graduation.



* Phrases in quotes are expressions new during the time of the Corona Virus. No stigma attached, just for emphasis that a month ago I would not have used that expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment