Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Good Friday

I woke up yesterday feeling sad. Sad because it was day one of having to wear masks in public. Sad because it was the end of week four of "social distancing." Sad because I'm tired of it all. Sad because it has not been good running weather. Sad because of the people turning into Zombies because they have not left their home in four weeks and feel it is perfectly acceptable to live their lives in that tiny of a space forever, or at least for the next two years until a vaccine is readily available.

So sad.

Then I read about a friend's 10-year old daughter who had a stroke and is in the hospital. And then I read about my cousin's child having to return to the hospital for more treatment. And so many other serious and life altering problems (struggling with a better word than "problem," maybe "crises"?)

I thought of the first Good Friday. Jesus's mother, friends, and followers seeing their dreams hung on a cross. Feeling helpless because they couldn't save him. Not understanding what would happen in a couple of days, even though it was foretold (who among us would have truly believed their friend was the Savior, even if he repeatedly told us he was?). 

They must have been sad. Despondent even.

This Passover/Easter season I can relate to the feelings of exile. Fortunately we are living in the age of technology. We can reach out to people around the globe. We have information, perhaps too much information, perhaps not always accurate information, but much more information than people had 102 years ago during the Spanish Flu.

As the day went on something fun happened. The Easter Bunny drove around town with help from the police, fire, and recreation departments. I took a walk. I enjoyed the flowering trees. I saw God's promises come to life in slow ways.

There will still be days I feel sad, or worried, or anxious. There will also be days I smile again and feel hope, and happiness, and can plan for the future. They might even be the same day. It is okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment