Pages

Monday, April 13, 2020

He is Risen!

Easter 2020 was a bit different from usual.

I started by attending the 6:15 am sunrise service down the street at the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville, only from the comfort of my own bed. And alone. Don watched from downstairs. Ashley was asleep in her bed. So the same, only not.

After breakfast I attended part of the 9 am service at First Presbyterian Church of Hamilton Square. I missed most of the service because people were talking to me. Hard to stay focused when everyone is together yet not together.

I did pay attention during PCOL's 10 am service. Pastor Jeff encouraged us all to laugh at what is happening in life. He said Jesus must have been a fun because he was often surrounded by children. Have you ever seen children willfully hanging around people who are not fun to be around?

After that service I watched "Fred the Accidental Docent" at the American Church of Paris. This week he talked about his immediate predecessor, who was born in 1899 and was organist for 40 years. Fred started in 1987. His predecessor was Edmund J. Pendleton. Mr. Pendleton was organist during World War II. He is on the list of pastors of the church since he "kept the church in order" and kept the Germans from occupying the church during that time. It is an amazing story. I hope these stories continue even after quarantine ends.


By now it was nearly noon. Don was on a long bike ride. The day was beautiful so I went for a run. Along the way I saw the Easter Bunny, a member of the Hullfish family keeping the nearly 100-year-old traditional Easter Egg hunt alive, and chalk drawings by Steve and Barbara, members of our WiNK community.
 Unfortunately today's torrential rains and possible tornadoes have likely washed away their artwork.

After I shower I went on a Bear Hunt in Hopewell. It was a lovely day for a drive.

I came home in time for a Zoom Easter chat with family from New Jersey to Ohio. In normal years the New Jersey families gather together. In normal years the Ohio families gather together. It was really special that this year all of the families could gather together. It was fun catching up with people and seeing how their lives have had to adjust based on the virus.




Afterwards Don, Ashley, and I did something we have talked about doing over the years, but have not done: we took out the china just for the three of us. The day before we picked up take out from Leonardo's Restaurant, a local Italian restaurant, and reheated it, which meant creating more dirty dishes. We enjoyed eating in the dining room so much we might make it a tradition, at least as long as life is on pause. Maybe next time we will even dress up for the occasion.

After dinner, Don and I took a walk to better appreciate Steve and Barb's artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment