Pages

Friday, April 3, 2020

The Encouraging Word

On Monday through Friday mornings my main church (The Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville) has been emailing a short video with an encouraging word for the day. While i also receive two daily devotionals during Lent, this email message feels more appropriate because they were created with the Corona Virus in mind. And, yes, messages of how to live in exile feel more appropriate than messages written before the phrase social distancing was part of our vocabulary.

Earlier in the week Pastor Louise preached on Ecclesiastes 3. These scriptures were most made famous by "Turn, Turn, Turn" by Vern Gosdin. I trust you all know this ear worm.

Until she read the scripture, I hadn't noticed the line "a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing" (v. 5). She said that is not why she chose this passage, but it certainly stood out to me.

I'm tired of not embracing. While I wouldn't call myself and extrovert or a chronic hugger, those traits live in me. I am missing human interaction in ways my anti-social teenager would never have predicted.

We continue to live in our exile on the Isle of Lawrenceville. Twenty-one days and counting.

Turn, turn, turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment