Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Lack of Time wasn't the Real Reason

How many times have you said in your life "if I only had the time, I would..." and then dream about that mysterious free time? I know I've thought "if only I had the time, I would clean out the garage, basement, and the infamous back bedroom." Others might have thought that time would be well-spent learning a foreign language, or finally writing that book.

Even Ashley said to me the other day she used being busy for not having the time to apply for scholarships or other things I have asked her to do that she did not do.

We both came to the conclusion now that we have Corona Virus-induced free time, lack of free time was not the real reason. I have not suddenly decided to dust the house from top to bottom. I have not suddenly decided to declutter (where would I take the donations anyway since donation drop-off places are closed?). I have not suddenly decided to improve my knowledge of French through Duolingo or NPR's News in Slow (though I have been tempted).

Pastor Doug from the First Presbyterian Church of Hamilton Square was able to see the long haul more than I could. The first week he suggested we figure out how to use our free time. Maybe reach out to shut-ins, or learn to knit. 

What I have I been doing?

Honestly, not much. I have continued to go on daily walks or runs. I've tried to reach out to friends. Mostly I've been worried about the future, sleeping more, stressing a lot, and spending way too much time on social media. 

I'm not a happy camper. 

I wish I was more organized and focused. I wish I worried less about whether or not graduation would take place (Ashley's school has assured us it will). I want to be making plans for the future, and that is still in God's hands (as usual).

I still can't believe a virus has brought the world to its knees. THE WORLD! 

It is all in God's hands. Maybe this is a worldwide lesson in trusting. The God who brought a flood to start over, certainly could bring a virus to make the world slow down.

I should trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment