Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2023

2023 Resolutions

Less than twenty-four hours ago a new year began. A year with a blank slate filled optimistically with the possibility for wonderful new adventures. As I am wont to do this time of year, I reflect on what direction I want my life to move in over the next 365 days. I started by rereading my past resolutions / goals and realize this is my tenth year of making public declaration. "Public declaration" seems a bit strong, though, as barely a half-dozen eyes ever open each blog post, and even less read them. Here is a quick way to reference each resolution: 20142015201620172018201920202021, and 2022.

Each year is a reflection of where I was as a person: career-wise, parenting, my relationship with God, how I was feeling about myself. In some ways, it was painful to read these goals. In other ways, it was a good reminder to me of who I have strived to be -- and continue to strive to be.

I am going to put a pause on my thoughts another day before putting in writing thoughts I have for the New Year.


Updates. I've thought about how I want this year to unfold and realize if I want to be in a different place as I stand around next year's bonfire, I need to approach it with intentionality.

1) I want to travel more. Yes, this is often a goal, and one (other than the COVID years) I have followed up on. Next week Don and I are interviewing for Global Entry status to make travel smoother as it includes TSA PreCheck and a fast pass through customs on our return. We have one international trip booked. Looking into more.

2) Today in church I was reminded how much I miss our WiNK service. I want to work with the church to revamp the service to make it a success. To this point, I have asked to be on the committee making recommendations for its future.

3) Last week I realized I am tired in my current job. There are pros and cons to all jobs, but the cons are now outweighing the pros. Most of my issues stem from not feeling part of the team (yes, still hurt I was told I cannot attend staff parties). Not being able to be fully myself. I don't know where I will end up, but I know by the end of 2023 I want to be someplace else professionally.

4) Health. I was hoping to have an answer as to why I don't have the energy level I had a couple of years ago. I'll continue to follow the paths.

5) Every decade I have gravitated towards a different primary form of exercise. In my 20s it was roller blading. In my 30s I was pushing a stroller and talking long walks. My 40s found me (much to my surprise) running. Now a third of my way into my 50s, I'm rediscovering roller skating, but this time with quads. I want to learn how to dance on roller skates.

I still want new adventures and to make more solid friendships, but not coming up with solid paths.

Let's see where life finds me at the end of this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment