Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sticky Situation at Work

I had a frustrating situation pop up at work this week. I vented on social media that the gala was shaping up to not be as financially successful as in past years. I am struggling with getting donations, and struggling to find volunteers. I have found some people who are willing to help -- but when I say what I need help with, they say "not with that," or they don't follow through. 

I cannot and should not do the entire event myself. It is clearly more successful if people chip in their expertise and we work together.

The response from my friends was supportive -- some offered donations, others offered empathy that they are also struggling with their events, others told me it will work out.

The response from my principal (who is not on social media) was I was out of line, and that I put the school in a bad light, that I needed to find other outlets for my frustration.

So I took the post down, unfriended anyone associated with the school, and put up a post saying I was taking down that post.

The response has been even more supportive. People I respect said I wrote nothing wrong in that post, nothing that put the school in a bad light. One person (who recently retired and who I respect) suggested I quit now -- I won't. The offers to make donations dried up. 

I decided not to use my non-work time, and my non-work connections to drum up donations. So, yeah, the gala will not be as financially successful, but maybe I'll remain sane.

I'm disappointed the person felt the need to share his/her concerns with the principal and not with me. I've already felt like a second-class employee because I'm not allowed to attend events outside of school with staff, and when I suggested carpooling to a lunch with a board member the principal gave me a list of excuses why we should not do that. 

I can't tell anyone how wonderful the school is when I feel kicked by the school.

I don't know my next chapter, but I do know I will have one in 2023.

The irony of it all ... I have heard from past donors who sent in checks, and had I accepted the donations of my friends, it was turning around to be a very successful event. I've since cut my goals in half.

(As only five people tend to read my posts, the odds of this getting back to her are minimal, but I stand by them. I have not used any names, only my feelings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment