Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Piano Man


As the icons in my life age there will be less opportunities to see them perform. A few years back. Recognizing this, I made it a point to see Springsteen in 2016 when he performed in Philadelphia. It was near my birthday, so I considered it a birthday present.

Last year I realized I wanted to see Billy Joel perform one more time. He is in his 70s, but still performing monthly at Madison Square Garden. When I learned he was having a show Don's birthday week, I jumped on it the moment tickets went on sale. Perhaps, as Don called me out on as the show was starting, more a gift to me than to him, but I still took him out to dinner and had a date night (and he did not suggest any better gift ideas).

Many, many years ago we saw Billy Joel perform. Twice. The first was when he and Elton John had their Dueling Pianos tour in July 1994. Don and I stood outside Quaker Bridge Mall all night to get tickets (yes, times have changed). As we finally made it to the front of the line the tickets sold out. But wait ... they added a new date and we snagged floor seats for the front row of the non-premium seats. I'm not explaining that well, but they were awesome seats -- the best we'll ever be able to snag without the help of an armored truck full of cash and stub hub. I don't remember exactly which date we saw them during their four days in East Rutherford, NJ, but I think it was the second show, so let's go with THIS  set list.

The second time was at in 1996 at Kendall Hall at Trenton State College -- an 836 seat venue.

Yes, I was spoiled. Knowing that, I held off on seeing him perform again.

And yet... 

As with Springsteen, I wanted to there, but did not have a desire to spend a small fortune, or be up close. I chose the top section, which is the 300 section, because the 400 section is below the 300 section, which I still don't quite understand.

I wish I had aimed for the very last row. Section 317 is only three very steep rows deep. The first row (which is where w were) has 11 seats. Tall glass in front and behind us. If you knew the other 10 people, it would feel like a Covid pod. Without knowing them, it felt like a Covid incubation tank. The second row is the same. The third row, though, is on bar stools with a shelf in front of them and nothing behind them (well, except for the concession stand and much easier access to the bathroom). Talking to someone who sat back there he said it was amazing -- you could stand without blocking people and no one had to jump over you to get in and out of their seats. 

That, my friends, is what annoyed me most about the concert. The eight people


next to me each had to leave their seats at least once, and some showed up after the concert began (in other words, I had to get up about 30 times during a 2 1/2 hour concert, often multiple times in the same song). I was trying to figure out if this is just normal because people are used to being home and don't remember etiquette says you wait until a break between songs to disrupt people, but no. My birds' eye view showed no one else in the stadium was climbing up and down the aisles. The duded on the end (who has been to every one of his MSG concerts since 2014) confirmed this was much more than usual.

We enjoyed ourselves. 

Don spent much of the time watching the stage hands do their behind-the-scenes work. I watched the show. Much of the time I plugged my left ear because the person next to me was singing louder than Billy Joel (remember, I paid to hear Billy Joel's voice not some random stranger's voice).


Dude next to us turned us on to SetlistFM.com, where we found the playlist. Following Billy Joel on line we saw a copy of his setlist. Yes, it matched, but there is something about seeing the handwritten notes that adds to the magic. 

Guitar-legend Jeff Beck passed away earlier in the week, so Billy Joel included "People Get Ready" as a tribute to him.

Fan dude said he always/often has a guest performer. He was wondering who it would be. Turned out to be Alexa Ray Joel. Answering the question  mark on my face, Fan dude said "his daughter."

Aww...

A few days ago I saw a video clip where Bruce Springsteen was quoted as saying


his children have no interest in seeing their father cheered by 50,000 fans -- booed, perhaps, but not cheered. It warmed my maternal heart to see Billy Joel's daughter not only sing "New York State of Mind" and "Big Shot" with her dad, but hug him afterwards and ask the audience to give it up for "Pops." (Photo from his Facebook page.)

My fidgety row mates actually sat down after he came back for the encore and only one had to jump over me between "We Didn't Start the Fire" and the end of the show. I was able to sing along (quieter than my neighbor, I hope) and bop along to the music without having to keep an eye out for someone coming or going. The most annoying part was the dude who wanted to high five us as he passed (I just wanted him out of my line of vision) and kept managing to step on my feet. Yes, I recognize he was likely drunk. Why the entire group of friends had to leave each time, I'll never quite understand.

What I did like about the venue was that the jumbotrons were so far away, it was actually easier to focus on the stage instead of being distracted by the close ups. When I did watch the screens, they had fun camera angles of his keyboard, and his back up performers (who were blocked by pieces of the set).

It was great seeing him play "at home." I quipped to someone as we were in a pack of people climbing down the stairs (the escalator seemed even more packed), was Billy Joel was home already. You know his limo was waiting inside the stadium, and that his driver knows the fastest way to his Long Island mansion. If it took him more than 30 minutes to get home, I'd be shocked. Meanwhile, it took us about 30 minutes to wait in line for the bathroom and climb down the stairs from the nosebleed seats. 

Good for him for still performing in his 70s, and seeming to enjoy himself as he did so. Fan dude said his set list is mostly the same, with about 5-6 songs different (or so Don remembered). I think he said there are 5-6 songs he always plays (Piano Man, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, We Didn't Start the Fire, and New York State of Mind are four of my immediate guesses). He started most songs with a little history. When people cheered after he announced the title of an obscure song (I think it was Zanzibar), he quipped: "You don't have that album. No one bought that album. I don't even have that album." As Ashley pointed out, much music is available on Spotify, so some people had heard it before. I'm glad the list was mostly music I knew since I don't follow him (or anyone) these days. I listen to the local Top 40 station (WPST) and NPR. On Pandora I've been listening to a French Cooking station, Stacy Kent, and some other eclectic international music. My musical tastes are fairly varied. 

A few of my pictures. I should have brought the zoomier lens, but then I would have been concerned they wouldn't let me bring it in the arena. As is, I was pushing the rules bringing this camera as the lens comes off (I did not bring a second lens).


Billy Joel is in the house!


Scenes from "Italian Restaurant" on the Jumbotron

Cell Phones instead of lighters



A father-daughter hug after "Big Shot"


 

Billy Joel fans should aim to see him before life changes and he can't perform any more. As is, he cancelled his November show because his doctor told him not to strain his vocal chords. 

Life is short. Go to the concert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment