Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2021

2021 Resolutions

In the past two months the biggest feelings of hope came from the following three activities:

1) Joe Biden winning the election

2) Friends starting to receive the Coronavirus vaccine

3) 2021 arriving

There is absolutely no logical reason to feel hopeful because the calendar changed to a fresh new year, but I do. As I clinked glasses with Ashley (mine was a mug that said Paris that Ashley gave me a few years ago) I smiled. Not a small smile, but a huge, toothy grin. This year feels filled with fresh possibilities.

I've actually been a little stumped about the goals I want to set for myself for this year. Last year I had one goal I thought would be a slam dunk (become a notary). I was set to follow through with that after the gala in March, but, oh well.

A favorite goal has been to visit a new-to-me city. One that did not happen last year. This year I'd prefer to revisit some favorite places, most notably Paris (hence the mug).

A goal I remember setting (and kept me motivated throughout the year) was to run ten 5ks a month. At the end of the year, I could not find proof I had set the goal. On December 27th I shared I completed that goal. Good thing I didn't also include a goal for running races as I only ran two in-person races, and (I think) three virtual races. The virtual races are harder to keep track of since they all look the same.

Goals:

Health

* Keep working with Adi to bring down my A1C using a combination of holistic and Western medicine.

* Increase my diet to include more carbohydrates and variety. I know I'm stuck in ruts.


Travel

* Take Ashley to Paris this summer while Don is on his cross-country bike ride. Go anyway if he cancels his ride.

* Visit Massachusetts family. 

* Visit Columbus, OH family and friends.


Professionally

* Raise enough money to finish Phase II -- including having a groundbreaking ceremony on finishing construction.

* Become a notary.


Running

* I signed up for two in-person races with RunBUCKS. May they both happen this year.

* Would love to run the 10 mile race: Paris to Versailles, but that would involve a second trip to Paris (quelle horreur). It is one that has been in the back of my mind for a while.


Spiritually

* Keep a Gratuity Journal. (Started last night.)

* Take notes during sermons to help remember the key messages and act on them. (Easy to do with virtual services.)

* Find ways to become involved with church.


Personally

* Form new friendships. Still seeking that "everyday friend" I could send quick texts and emails to. I really want someone who also checks in with me. Most relationships still feel one-sided.

* Go on a Muhlenberg College tour.

* See a production at Muhlenberg.

* Go to a Broadway show -- any Broadway show!

* Make a meaningful difference with Melissa's Brigade -- a local group dedicated to providing comfort packages to people undergoing chemotherapy. I feel this is my way of honoring Carin's life.

* Connect with people in person again.


Long-term:

* Work towards moving to Westerville, OH.

    Declutter each room.

    Decide when to put the house on the market.


For someone who started this message by saying I have no idea what goals I want to set, my fingers had different ideas. 

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment