Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Pickle Sandwich, Part 2

Two years ago I drove 45 minutes for a pickle sandwich from Elsie's, a local restaurant in Haddon Township, NJ. Recently Don learned about another place selling pickle sandwiches, this time to Giovanni's DILLicous Pickles. Unlike 2020, this time Don wanted to try it, too.

We drove 30 minutes to Crydon, PA, a stop on the SEPTA train line.


Giovanni has the same basic concept as Elsie: hollowed out pickles jammed with the makings of a hoagie sandwich. There a couple of differences, though. Giovanni opens indoor dining, so the pickle juice stays in their restaurant instead of ending up in my car. Giovanni has a bigger menu including a pickle pizza (cauliflower crust with pickle slices on top of tomato sauce -- I actually want to try this next time), and pickle boats (best as I can tell, open face pickle sandwiches). Elsie drizzled a sauce on top that was lacking at Giovanni. I did like Giovanni's chips. 

Both places are Gluten Free and Keto-friendly.



I'm inspired to try the same concept with the massive amounts of cucumbers we are likely to receive from the Farmers Market this summer.

Don and I are planning to go back. It was different enough to merit the half-hour drive. Their hours are better than Elsie's, and having a place to eat it is a plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment