Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Spoke Too Soon

On January 30th I posted Enough Already! complaining about how I can't take any more.

As the saying goes, "if you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans." Two weeks after writing that post I went for my first colonoscopy. Everyone (I mean everyone) says "the prep is the hard part." 

Everyone lied.

The actually colonoscopy was not a big deal. I was asleep for it. The prep was not too horrible as I went with the newly FDA approved pills over the goopy drink. I even did it during a virtual board meeting, and stayed up most of the night to finish.

The day before the procedure, several days into eating a low-res diet (read: pretty much the opposite of the low carb meal I normally eat) the doctor's office called to say my insurance refuses to cover the endoscopy, too, so he is just going to do the colonoscopy.

Other than he hit my triggers -- I was highly anxious about the procedure, the anesthesia, the recovery. I was hungry from not eating much that day to make sure the rest slid out that night. I was tired from the stress of the procedure. That I snapped at him. The next morning when the hospital staff kept confirming with me that I was there for both an endoscopy and colonoscopy I snapped. When I saw the doctor on the operating table I complained again. He actually told me we didn't have to go through with the procedure.

Of course I went through with it.

Two hours later when I woken up. Yes, TWO HOURS. The same doctor yelled at me to put on my mask because we were in a hospital and complained he was not behind scheduled and that I need to repeat this in three years. 

I fell out of the bed after he left because I couldn't function after the anesthesia and wanted out of there like a bat out of hell.

I wrote him a letter of complaint.

According to his notes which were finally uploaded to the patient portal a few days later I was sent home with guidance as to what to expect. I confirmed with Don, I was not sent home with paperwork.

That was supposed to be the end of the hard part.

No, the hard part continued with pain in my stomach for over a week. My best guess is I was healing from the polyps that were removed during surgery. Is this normal? What should I do about it? Who should I talk to about this? How long should this last?

Two and a half weeks later I'm still waiting for results from the biopsy. The website says to allow three weeks and not call. They'll upload the results to the patient portal, and will only call if it is cancerous.

No reply to my letter of complaint, or answers to the questions posed in it. Do I still need an endoscopy? Is there a non-invasive option? Is it normal to be out of it from the anesthesia for four additional hours?

What is next? He has already said he doesn't want to continue to accept my insurance, so I know I won't be seeing him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment