Pages

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Pickle Sandwich Anyone?

A while back Steve, a friend from college posted about having a pickle sandwich at a sandwich shop in Haddonfield, NJ. I tucked the information away for a future road trip. As I don't eat bread, a sandwich of any kind is a rare treat.

Last weekend the day arrived.



Before making the 45-minute drive, googled their name (Elsie's) and checked their website. I discovered they are only open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 11 am to 3 pm, or until they run out. It was already almost 1 pm.

I hopped in the convertible and joined a line that was out the door. Fortunately they still had pickles left, they sold out a few minutes after I arrived. Seems they have a bit of a cult following and tend to sell out on Fridays and Saturdays.



As you can see in the pictures, the place is pretty nondescript. If you look at their website, even that is pretty bare bones, no story about how or why they started this niche market or about their owners. Just the facts -- hours, address, and menu. In addition to pickle sandwiches, they sell pickle potato chips, and roll-ups. Pickle juice is available to sip while waiting, or you can take some home if you bring your own container. There is also a special sauce for sale, but I didn't catch the details.



As for sandwich, I took it home to eat because it was a chilly day and only an outdoor picnic table (they were closing up inside). As you can see in the pictures, it is a sandwich made from a giant pickle stuffed with meat of your choice, or you can have hummus. The special sauce added a nice flavor. As much as I was looking forward to having a sandwich, I soon tired of having to keep it together while I ate it. It is very juicy, hence drippy. I was not a fan of the type of pickle used, it was too tart. The website did not say what kind of pickles they use.

The bigger question is would I do it again? For that answer I am trying to separate the hassle of driving 45 minutes each way for it, and waiting another 45 minutes for the sandwich, with how much did I actually enjoy it. It was not worth the time investment, but if I happened to be someplace that offered it, I might try it again, or at least make my own pickle sandwich with a type of pickle I enjoy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment