Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Mall During a Pandemic


Last week I ordered a Christmas Tree ornament for pick up from Hallmark. I thought I selected the local shop in the strip mall in the south end of town. Instead I chose the one at the mall. Oh well.

So off to Quaker Bridge Mall I went for the first time since pandemic began in March. Quaker Bridge Mall is a sleepy mall during much of the year. It boasts more shoe stores than anything else (who needs that many shoes?). They have three anchor stores (Macy's, JC Penney's, and Lord & Taylors). Sears closed a few years ago. 

The mall has transformed over the years. Victoria's Secret replaced The Disney Store. There is no longer a movie theater in the mall. The food court moved mostly upstairs. Sur La Table recently closed. They have an Apple Store (something I wished for when I was in Israel with a broken charger), a couple of jewelry stores, several women's clothing stores, and, yes, did I mention the shoe stores? It is a mall that hasn't quite found a successful niche. They tried to drive the teenagers out and entice women around my age. Trouble is, my demographic tends to shop online.

Back to my Christmas story. What I noticed about the mall were the arrows trying to direct one-way traffic flow. I noticed the Apple Store no longer let you inside, but instead created a giant queue in the main hallway, further clogging the hallway. I noticed people were shopping. I noticed the signs telling us to wear masks and keep socially distant (I so want a bonfire for those masks and signs). I noticed people not following the arrows.

What I did not notice were Christmas decorations, Christmas music blaring (I didn't notice any music), or even Santa Claus. I did see a big tree outside. A visit to the Quaker Bridge Mall website shows they have a scheduling system for seeing Santa, along with guidelines. I might have to go back today to see where he is stationed. I did not notice a feeling of festivity.

After picking up the ordered item I did purchase a couple of more presents from another store, and walked the loop around the mall. Today is my last chance to see if they really did decorate for Christmas. Somehow I'm thinking it is not enough of a priority in my life to actually do it.

I hope all of your presents arrived and that you are finding merriment in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment