Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2020

I Realized Why Virtual Events Can't Match Live Ones

It took me until today before I realized why virtual services don't feel the same as live ones.

Sure, we are participating in a tiny bubble. We don't have others with us. We don't travel from one place to another. There are very few side conversations. Once the event/service is over it is over -- no post-chit chat.

What is truly missing is not all of our senses are engaged. 

It has been a long nine months. Or at least that is my excuse.

As I watched Muhlenberg's candlelight service I realized I couldn't smell the candles or the greenery or other people's perfume. I am worshiping in a bubble. 

I also realized with pre-taped segments our sense of hearing is not fully engaged. What is presented is something perfect because there are times for retakes. No sirens in the background. No crying babies. No fussy toddlers (or adults). Just the pastor or leader telling us what he or she wants us to hear.

Sight is improved as there are no heads in our way and I don't need my glasses. I'm also not distracted looking at others, who's here, what are they wearing, how are they...

There is nothing to touch -- no communion bread to take, no hymnal to open, no chair to adjust. 

Certainly nothing to taste -- no post church snacks, no communion bread.

Each week I worship in Paris at the American Church in Paris, and two services at the Presbyterian Church of Lawrenceville. Last week I visited Cousin Laura's church in Ohio. Other weeks I worship in Hamilton Square. It doesn't matter when I am. The services blend together, especially this time of year when they are all preaching lectionary (which this year is B) so the scripture readings are the same. Many hymns are the same.

A few weeks ago I ran the annual gala at The Bridge Academy. We tried hard to keep the charm of past galas -- the students danced, they spoke, the adults gave heart-warming speeches, and we had a cash appeal. They were the best speeches ever. Then again they should be because the students wrote them in March and could say them over and over again until it was perfect. The dancers could have as many takes as they wanted to.

I'm grateful we could pull off the fundraiser and move past it to something else.

I still long for seeing imperfections in life and having all of my senses engaged.



No comments:

Post a Comment