Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Church During a Pandemic

 


Churches in our area quickly adapted to holding virtual services. In early March it was a typical Sunday where we sang and hugged. 

A week later we were adapting by bumping elbows and giving each other air hugs. 

The following week we were on lock down. 

If the church wanted to survive, it would quickly have to offer virtual services.

One week led to another and another and another...if churches wanted to survive, they would have to adjust and be virtual. It was sad when a month into the pandemic Easter (April 12) had to be celebrated virtually. Surely we'll gather in the summer to celebrate Easter a bit later than usual, but we are "an Easter people," as some pastors say. We'll blast the trumpets and celebrate later. Once it is safe. 

Then it was "surely by Christmas...". We are now at Christmas Eve and, no, we are not gathering together. Though some are trying to have a quick outdoor ceremony, only Mother Nature is sending us a lot of rain and encouraging us to meet separately (some would rather have snow and the "White Christmas" of songs).

With advent Don and I were invited to light the advent candle in the sanctuary and participate in the liturgy. I was invited to do so in November, but ended up taping my portion in advance. This time I was really in church as it was live streamed!

We commented how odd it was that we had to add travel time to getting to worship on time (a 15 minute walk from home), and not wear pajamas. I even put on some lip gloss for the occasion. 

Of note, the first hymn was "Let it Be" by the Beatles.
(Look closer at Don's sweater.)

There were four of us in church -- us two, Pastor Kyle, and Marcia was running tech. We were masked when not on screen. Since we are married, we were allowed to be unmasked and share the same microphone while Kyle and Marcia stood in the far back corner of the church.


It was odd watching the rest of the service on our muted phone while sitting in the sanctuary. Yes, I should have taken a picture of that. The true highlight was that after the service the four of us chatted. Real conversation. Like pre-Pandemic days. To me it was the best service I have seen since mid-March. Then I realized it is because I was there. I wasn't watching it on my phone or lap top later. I was in the moment. 

It has been hard to be in the moment. So much of life lately is asynchronistic. I'll go to church at midnight because that's when it fits in my schedule. I sleep in late because there is no reason to wake up early. Work has become different since we have more people in our building. First it was construction chaos. Now it is bathrooms have been broken. One teacher has a naturally loud voice. It doesn't matter if she is teaching virtually or in person, I can hear her clear across the building. The other teachers are so quiet I forget they are there. 

Life's pacing feels off this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment