Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Workers without Offices

Last week after reading about friends' office parties, I decided with more than a passing jealousy I wanted one, too. The fact that I don't have an office, or a steady employer was not going to stand in the way of my fun.

Instead, I posted an open invitation to Facebook friends, tagging a few local ones, inviting all who are unemployed, underemployed, or self-employed to join me at Fedora's for an a holiday party.

It worked. Five of us gathered for lunch, and others asked to be included next time. Each person had something in common with the others (besides knowing me), which led to lively discussions and merriment in the midst of the hectic holiday season.

It also led to a plan to try to gather on a more regular basis -- choose a date and time and see who shows up. We are now calling it "Workers without Offices" because we all work, be it freelance, volunteer, or other.

Let me know if you want to be invited to a future lunch date.

No comments:

Post a Comment