Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

God Tells Us Exactly What We Need to Do

The other day a friend from our homeschooling days posted Genesis 6:14-16 where God tells Noah EXACTLY what he needs in order to build an ark -- what materials, how much, 

The passage is short so I'll copy it here:

14 So make yourself an ark of cypress[a] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high.[b] 16 Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit[c] high all around.[d] Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.

Her version of the bible said gopher wood, but same idea. To her this passage is proof that God is not a distant God, or unconcerned about the details of our lives, instead the opposite is true.

To me I wonder what it would look like if God were to send me a message telling me exactly what to do with my life. Has He left me detailed instructions I have ignored not realizing they have come from Him? Where does He want me to shine my light? 

Or even smaller questions: where should I do for a living? How can I declutter the house? What foods are the right ones for me to eat?

As Ashley graduates from a Catholic K-8 school the next challenge on the horizon as a family is where will she go to high school. For years we have been saying either the local public school or the local Catholic school. As we get closer though, the decision becomes more confusing. As we ask people who both know Ashley well and know the local schools well a third school continually pops up. A very expensive, highly endowed one. We've taken it as a sign from God saying that is where she should apply. I trust if this is where God wants her to go, He will make it happen.

Okay for Ashley, but where is the green arrow in my life? What does God want me to do? How does He want me to shine my light? What is my light? These are questions I have struggled with in 2015. I hope and pray I find some answers in 2016 and then act on those answers. Pray for me as I seek to shine my light in the directions led by God, and not led by me.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment