Pages

Friday, December 23, 2022

Fifth Avenue, NYC

Last Sunday Don and I went into NYC to see the holiday displays. Given that the temps are now in the single digits, I am so glad we decided to go on that balmy 40 degree day.

We drove to the Grove Street Station in Jersey City and took the PATH into the City. The strangest moment came when a group of seats freed up and I grabbed one intending for Don to join me when suddenly a swarm of teenage boys sat around me. Or rather, two swarms. Boys from the one group recognized people from the other group. Me, the lone white lady of a certain age sat in the middle of them trying not to draw attention to myself in what felt like the longest stretch between stops (which it wasn't by far). When we got to the next stop I grabbed Don and suggested we find a different car. 

While I never felt threatened, I was uncomfortable with them passing their vape to each other around me. I also felt as if I was in the middle of Pass Over, a play we saw on Broadway last year. I just wanted to laugh about the caricature of the situation. Don is not the one for that, though, so instead I opted for moving to a different car.

We made a mad dash to Tim's shop, Broadway Up Close, catching it about 15 minutes before it closed for the day. Perfect shopping experience with Brett suggesting the ideal gift for Ashley, and wrapping it up in a green bag with 10 minutes to spare.

The city was filled with people celebrating Argentina's win in the World Cup. So many people wearing matching Argentinian shirts and waving matching Argentinian flags I wondered where the French shirts and flags were stashed. There must have been vendors who bought both not knowing who would win earlier in the day. Alas, we didn't find anyone selling the items.

The big draw for going that day was that 5th Avenue was closed to traffic from noon to six to help alleviate the crowds. Police were at each intersection protecting the crowds and guiding the cars. Food trucks were set up. There was a selfie station. A stage had a high school group performing on it. From 47th to 57th it was a ten street block party. 

For as many people who were hanging out there, if they had all been relegated to the sidewalk it would have been insane! As is, crowds were thick in Times Square and leading up to 5th Avenue.







We walked up to Central Park.




We had every intention of studying the window displays, but it didn't happen. Instead we saw a preview of "Emily in Paris." On the way to dinner at The Counter, we did pause for a picture in front of The Tree.

Not quite the same without Ashley, but at least I did see it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment