Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Controversial Topic

It seems once you state an opinion, no matter what the opinion, it becomes a topic for controversy.

For me, it was stating how much I do not like the advent hymn "Lo, How a Rose e'er Blooming." 


Due to a desire by some pastors to only celebrate Christmas once Christ has been born, and not during the four weeks leading up to it known as Advent, "Joy to the World," and other joy-filled tunes must wait their turn. That leaves only a few hymns acceptable to be sung in worship during Advent, most notably "Lo, How a Rose e'er Blooming." Even the title is a mouthful.

In the first week of December I heard this hymn THREE times -- once in Muhlenberg (which Ashley warned me about), then at Ewing Church (which Don warned me about), then again at PTS's Carols of Many Nations service (which the man behind me warned me about). At least the last one was sung in German. Had I gone to church at PCOL the Sunday earlier, it would have been four times in ten days. Don warned me off, so I attended virtually and tuned that out.

I find it humorous that people know how much I dislike this hymn, and will warn me in advance. After publicly sharing my distaste for it, people have shared with me how much they love it, and articles about how wonderful it is.

To me it just shows how divisive we are as a culture -- no one shared on my Facebook post they could take it or leave it, they all either loved it, or hated it. Much as we seem to be about the rest of life.

Though no one as ever asked, I will share my favorite hymn, the one that always gives me goosebumps: "Once in Royal David's City." It tells a story. It has a varied tune. When they start with a soloist acoustically singing the first stanza, with his voice filling the church, and not a sound other than the voice can be heard, it is magical.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment