Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2022

Hot Chocolate 5k/15k

Something else that has returned are large races. Last year we signed up for the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k race for the swag as we were pretty convinced the race would be cancelled. I ran (walked/stumbled) the 15k distance through our park, in the woods, through Lawrenceville Green, over to Denow, etc. It was not pretty. I did not enjoy running that distance alone. Though Don signed up, that was the day after he received his second vaccine and he was not up for running. 

I have not even attempted that distance since then, or any distance greater than 10k. Nor do I have a desire to try that distance. I keep waiting for my running mojo to return. That's why when I was talking to Christine, my hairdresser, about whether I should sign up for the 5k or 15k distance for this year's Hot Chocolate Race and she kindly recommended the 5k distance I have not looked back.

This year I feel as if I have overcommitted myself emotionally. Grand Jury Duty really wore me out. Hosting an exchange student has been a bigger emotional strain than I expected it would be -- part of it is making sure Don does not feel neglected. Running the gala has been draining, too. I decided to treat myself with kindness, the same kindness I would tell a friend to treat themselves. I allow myself to say no without apologizing. We are all climbing out of a rough couple of years.

That said, not only did Don and I sign up for the Hot Chocolate race for the swag, we ran the Hot Chocolate Race. In the end, I am very glad we only signed up for the 5k. One reason being that the 5k ran earlier in the day, meaning it was finished earlier in the day, and we made it back home in time to join my Red Hat friends for tea without being too exhausted.

The course starts as many others do in Philadelphia -- in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum. After posing for a sunrise picture with the Rocky Statue, we were off. Somehow we were in B Corral (I think it went up to H) so we got a decently early start.

The race goes up the Ben Franklin Parkway, turns around, passes Boathouse Row, turns around, and ends in front of the Art Museum. It is a flat and scenic course.

The swag -- a running jacket, is "sweet," but so was the post-race food: 


Along the route I saw someone wearing a Philly Phanatic head carrying an American flag, someone juggling while running, a woman walking the race with a cane, and a man in a banana suit. To think I only took pictures while running.

We were both very impressed with how well the race was organized, and how much fun we had. Would we do it again is open to debate. Don was planning how we would do it differently next year, and I was thinking it was a one and done experience. I enjoyed the race, but we to wake up at 5 in order to get to the starting line in time. It is a lot of running around for only 5k. Maybe if I can convince myself to train for the 15k. Maybe.

Some pictures from the day:














 

No comments:

Post a Comment