Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Exchange Student Update

With the end of the third marking period behind us, we are now entering the final quarter as being exchange parents. Youth for Understanding started the year optimistically anticipating it would be as it was before, including having three (mandatory) in-person gatherings as check-ins, as opportunities to bond with other host families. 

The first session was soon switched to virtual. I did attend, but got nothing out of it. The second session was optional. I tuned in for a bit, but left early. The third one is a pre-recorded session I will likely not even attempt to participate in.

One of the things I remember most from my year in Belgium was meeting other exchange students. I'm still in touch with some, and have seen a few over the decades. I'm glad the Valhalla (NY) High School trip happened for Yoran as it was the only opportunity for him to meet other exchange students. ("Belgian" flag signed by other exchange students, classmates, and people I met that year. A gift from my host mother.)

I was glad he had the opportunity to make some new friends. I wish there had been more opportunities for me. Personally, I finally appreciated how much those weekends must have meant to my host parents, a tiny respite. Don and I went on a date night to Grounds for Sculpture, and met Ashley to redeem our dinner with the dean (an opportunity we won at Parents Weekend, sadly a photo was not taken). It was nice not having to plan a few days around when he needed to be picked up.

People ask how the experience is going. Honestly, it is going very well. The next question is would we do this again. Honestly, the answer is no. We are tired of following the school calendar, of having a non-driver in the house. He is a great person. I've followed up with his teachers and coaches and they assure me he is a wonderful asset to the high school. The exchange program was on hold for a few years (I think they had an issue with a former exchange student, though that has not been confirmed.) Based on Yoran, they have no right to suspend the program again.

Here is what his swim coaches said about him at the Swim Banquet: 

We wanted to give a special award for this swimmer in an immense thank you for his contribution to the team. Even though he was ineligible to swim in meets, he attended the most practices of everyone and consistently worked hard in the pool. He has great team spirit and volunteered himself to help out the team by managing meets, teaching other people how to manage and back up time whenever we needed him. He truly was a great teammate to everyone and his presence from just one year on the team will be greatly missed. We can only hope that other swimmers would follow in his footsteps as he was the perfect role model for a good teammate. Honorable mention to having the best belly flop the team has ever seen. We would like to present the Ser-Best Teammate award to Yoran Serbest. 

 
Though he wasn't allowed to compete due to his having already graduated from high school, he was an asset to the team. He missed perfect attendance by attending a funeral for my Great Aunt (which they understood). He helped his team anyway possible. At the end of the season he swam in a couple of matches, after the championship games when they were able to forfeit his points.

Parent teacher conferences echo these sentiments -- he is friendly, participates in class, and is a nice person.

This season tennis is his sport. He enjoys tennis more than swimming, but recognizes swimming is better overall for his body. Tennis is more active, and more fun. As a spectator, swimming is indoors, thus not dependent on the weather.
 

In June his parents will arrive and take him on a tour of the western part of the United States. I suspect with the advances in technology, it will be easier to keep in touch than it was for me back in the late 1980s.





No comments:

Post a Comment