Pages

Monday, June 18, 2018

Art All Night 2018 Turned into Art Barely 12 Hours

This is one of those times when I wish I posted closer to when events happened. This is a completely different post than the one I would have written on Saturday night. Like many, I was shocked and dismayed to wake up to the news that gunfire erupted at Art All Night, ruining lives and destroying the event. For now here are some links from previous years to give you a sense of how fantastic this event, which ran for 11 years without serious incident, has been.

2017

2016

2015

2011

Clearly we are fans of the event. Many of our friends and family both attend and/or display art. Many have said this year something felt off. I'm struggling with how I define off. This year we dropped off on Saturday morning instead of Friday night, and had no line. On the one hand, we felt lucky because it was a busy day and this freed up some of our time. On the other hand, I felt gypped. Part of the fun is checking out each other's art work and both seeing friends and making new ones. Whatever. I can get over that.

We usually go more than once over the 24-hour festival as the mood changes, and who goes shifts. First up, we have to figure out where our artwork is hanging and share that on social media. Must pose for a picture with the artwork.



Ashley's is the one in the gold frame by her head.
Next year I'll encourage her to point, too.




Then we wander around looking at the other pieces and hanging out with friends. After about 45 minutes, we came to the conclusion we didn't know anyone there. Again, that was odd.

Two odd strikes on the event for us -- one we have attended and participated in nearly every year since it's inception.

I decided to go back and check out the artwork some more, and try to find some friends (really, I do have friends, I do know people in the area). It took me a while to find a parking space I felt comfortable using (ladies, you know the drill -- well lit lot, near other festival goers), and I scored a really good spot labeled compact car in the main shopping center parking lot. I even noted good police presence.

I went inside around 9 PM, showing my hand stamp (it is a free event, but they like to keep a tally of how many people attend) from earlier. I looked at more artwork. I can never absorb it the first, or even the second time. We often return about three times, and still see more at the Selects Night held a week later. I was still surprised I did not bump into many people I know. I did see Christina and her family (family from Ashley's old school), Brittney and her bridal party (Ashley's art teacher), Tarshia (someone I used to work with), and Barbara (another freelancer). Considering how many people we normally see, that was really odd. Most people were outside. It was a warm night, and inside the Roebling Works building can feel like a furnace.

I left around 10 PM. As I was leaving I saw two white suburban couples walking about as if to say "Look at us ... can you believe we are in the 'hood at 10 PM!" Wonder what they thought when they heard the news.

Ashley had to wake up at 1:30 AM to meet up with her school mates heading to Alaska (poor baby). The bus left at 2:40 AM from the school parking lot. To the left meant going home. To the right meant returning to Art All Night (yes, the event runs for 24 hours straight, so a good way to spend the evening). We debated, but in the end sleep won out. The plan was to wake up early so we could go to Knoebels Amusement Park for their biannual convention of mechanical instruments (carousel organs, calliopes). A future blog post. If our artwork did not sell, then we were to return by 6 PM to pick it up. Knoebels is a three-hour drive for us.

Not too often a decision to go left vs. right could have changed our lives.

Before 3 AM shots rang out at Art All Night. Less than 12 hours after the event started.

When I woke up at 7 AM I checked Facebook (yeah, a habit) and heard the news. I was stunned, and disappointment, and upset, and rotating between all the stages of grief. Why? Who would do this? Is everyone okay? Do I know anyone there? Are my friends safe? What did it mean for the future of Art All Night? Would we be able to get our artwork back? How will ArtWorks recover financially from this? Will ArtWorks be able to recover at all? 

Early reports stated the gunman was killed, and 20 innocent bystanders (including a 13-year old child) were injured. Some critically. It sounds as if they are going to survive. The second gunman is in custody. All indications are this was gang related.

Hindsight is 20/20 they say. I can stand on my head and swear I felt the vibe was off, but it would have had more validity had I blogged about this on Saturday night. Other friends said they didn't stay as long because something felt off.

One friend said he smelled marijuana (something absent in the past when he has gone), the music was more rap (but, all types are encouraged, and he was only there an hour), more people were looking at their phones than the artwork (sign of the times?) and being rude when they bumped into him. He, too, did not see many people he knew (and he knows just about everyone) and left about an hour later -- less time than normal.

Reports are there were about 1,000 people at the event at that time. One report today said the police were telling the organizers to shut down the event because of fighting they had witnessed when the gun fire went off. A freelance friend was there when it happened and came out safely. Another friend was wounded and suffered a sprained wrist and some bruises. She is a reporter and has promised a first-person account which I will link to later. She was interviewed by the New York Times for 30 minutes, but they did not include her positive thoughts on the event. A scary comment made today was that this was a planned attack between two warring gangs.

Moms Demand Action, a group of people (mostly women) advocating for gun control had a table at the event. Their presence wearing bright red shirts was strong both times I went. I wonder what is going through their heads.

Now we wait. Art All Night finally sent out an email tonight (they posted a statement on Facebook yesterday, but not everyone is on Facebook) saying once they are allowed back in the building they will let people know how to pick up their artwork. No word on how many pieces were damaged or destroyed. Only reports there was a lot of blood.

Last year we displayed one of Honey Bunny's pieces for the first time. We talked about doing one this year, but for whatever reason did not (Too disorganized? A shady premonition? Uncomfortable displaying work at this event by a deceased artist?). I'm glad we didn't. The pieces we all displayed were photographs in Dollar Store frames -- completely replaceable. Hers would not have been replaceable.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who reached out to us to make sure we were okay. Hug your family a little tighter. Realize that sometimes small decisions can make huge changes in your life.

UPDATE: PlanetPrinceton had a follow up story about increased security at the event and how the police were in the process of shutting down the event when the gunfire erupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment