Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Author Marie Benedict

Many of you know one of my biggest hobbies is reading. My favorite genre is one I have dubbed "grown up Nancy Drews," including Cleo Coyle, Carolyn Haines, Diane Mott Davidson, Jill Churchill, and many others where ordinary women solve the crimes the befuddle the professionals. A close second is historical fiction, including  writers Jacqueline Winspeare, Rhys Bowen, Lauren Belfer, and Marie Benedict. Last night I had the honor of hearing the latter talk about her writing, her books, and her inspiration as part of Princeton Public Library's third annual Soiree


Marie is a pseudonym. She also writes under the name Heather Terrell. As Marie, she has published two books, one called "The Other Einstein" and another called "Carnegie's Maid." Both tell the story of a woman whose history has been all but been forgotten. She is currently working on "The Only Woman in the Room" about Hedy Lamarr. When she announced that to the room at the Princeton Historical Society at Updike Farm, there was an audible "Oooo." She is contracted to write five more books in the next five years.

Marie talked about the differences between writing about historical figures (such as Mileva Einstein) versus writing about the purely fictional Clara Kelley. You have more flexibility with fictional characters, but since Clara was connected to the very real Andrew Carnegie, she still had limitations. Mileva and other real women leave behind real letters, diaries, and documents that ground them as well as help flesh them out when she writes about them. Clara was based on Irish immigrants in general who worked in "the big houses," such as Carnegie's mansion, including an aunt who worked in Henry Clay Frick's mansion in Pittsburgh (which Marie visited as part of her research).

I felt a kindred spirit with Marie when she spoke. We were both history majors in college. Unlike me, Marie was encouraged to become a lawyer and spent a number of years working in New York City as a lawyer. She has since returned to her geographic roots of Pittsburgh (where "Carnegie's Maid" takes place) and is now a full-time professional author.

Also our eyes light up taking about going down "rabbit holes" while conducting research.


I was thrilled to win her two books. When I entered the event I was handed five tickets. The person at the front table told me if there was a prize I really wanted I could put all five tickets in one basket. I heeded her advice and put them all in the basket to win her books. As a bonus, they pulled three winners. 

The first numbers were called ... and I lost. 

Then another set of numbers were called ... and I lost again. 

Then to my surprise and shock my number was called on the third pull!



After claiming my prize, I joined the line to have my new books autographed. Marie is very charming in person. She made time to talk to everyone about anything they wanted to talk about. I suspect she is a good friend.

It was a lovely night out. The Bent Spoon provided two sorbets: Dark Chocolate Orange and Mango. They were both to die for. There were also other treats I did not have a chance to sample because I was too busy talking to friends.

The Princeton Historical Society at Updike Farm was the perfect setting for the book talk because their permanent exhibit is on Albert Einstein, who lived in Princeton from 1933 until his death in 1955. He is a Princeton icon.

In 2016 the soiree was held at Labyrinth Books. Last year they held it at the Arts Council in Princeton because the book had an artistic theme ("Christina's World" by Christina Baker Kline. Time will tell where it will be held in 2019. I hope I can attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment