Pages

Friday, October 2, 2026

Montpelier Finds

The biggest question I am asked as an avocational archaeologist, and one I admit to asking other archaeologists, is what was your biggest find.

I will start off by saying it was not the red Carnelian ring. That was found at least a year ago on an earlier expedition. It was perhaps the coolest artifact I had the pleasure of touching.

Martha and I convinced Mary Margaret and the team to let us dig someplace other than in our assigned unit. We had an hour of pure joy as we discovered nails and other pieces of metal.








We had hoped to return to the same until on Friday, but we once again returned to what I think of as the oven.


With Mary Margaret and Martha


On Friday during the last hour of the dig I unearthed the handle of a mug in the pattern that feels like an orange peel, and a rectangular piece of unidentified metal.



Other than that, we found a lot of slag. By a lot of slag, I mean we weighed 11 bags of slag equaling 370 POUNDS! They save every piece of slag that does not fit through the 1/4 inch screen. Slag is something we are used to tossing at other sites. They also save river smoothed rocks. Again, something we do not normally save. It is always an adjustment figuring out what is kept and what is tossed. When I was at Lac Phillippe in Gatineau, Canada, they saved quartz, again something I normally toss.

(To be fair, we only filled two of the 11 bags, the other nine were excavated the week before.)









Letters identifying layers for consistency
in reporting


No comments:

Post a Comment