Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2026

Montpelier Excavation Reflections

I've been home now just over a week. I have written 16 posts about the week between here and at PillsburyTravels.blogspot.com. I have one more post after this. too. I use writing as a way to process my feelings.

Would I go again? is the largest question looming. Up until that Friday, my answer was no because I did not want to go on the tours again. Then I learned they have an alumni program with (presumably) more digging and less tours. I also learned about a three-day metal detecting program with Dennis that is catching my interest. Unfortunately this year it is a day after a planned trip and it is not in the cards for 2026. Too bad since this year they are digging around the former blacksmith shop and will find lots of things.

That was my biggest disappointment with the dig. For the leaders it was just another week during their seven to eight month excavation season. Approximately every other week they have people like us helping them, and the other weeks they dig faster without us. If this week didn't turn up anything exciting, there is always next week. Since Ed and Janice are repeat customers, and Percy has already signed up for next week, it does not seem to be a concern for everyone else.

I do get it. I feel the same way when I dig at Newlin. Not every week is going to become a Facebook or blog post.

On the other hand, we paid $1,000 to dig, plus hotels and meals. I dig for free closer to home. I form a community with my local diggers.

The people were lovely. I did not exchange contact information with them and will likely never see them again. I'm waiting for the official Flickr photo link before I send them the pictures I took.

The staff took lovely care of us. They gave us swag (a Marshalltown trowel, matching tee shirts, a group photo, and a mug), and took oodles of pictures of us (which I have not yet seen). They made sure we (or was it the dirt) was well shaded. Indoor plumbing was nearby. We were treated to tours and given the code to come in after hours. We were treated as true members of the team and not as annoyances.

They could not have been nicer.

On the other hand, every tour was nearly double the time allotted on the schedule. Did we ask too many questions? Did they not realize how long these tours last? They felt long, even more so as I typed up my notes for the blog. I would have lost focus completely without my notebook.

Even so, after our graduation ceremony where we received our group photo (silly picture on the flip side), I walked across the street to the train station to learn about its history. There is more to learn about their 2,650 acre property.

I don't regret going, but I am not sure I would recommend it to others. Perhaps if I had appreciated just how much time would be spent on tours (it was on the schedule, but again, each tour was nearly twice as long), I would have gone in with a different mindset.

I would also get my own hotel room. Martha and I are friends, but even friends need some space.





No comments:

Post a Comment