Pages

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Seeing My CSA in Person

I recently found myself driving on a Tuesday towards Atlantic City, which meant I would be passing the farm where my CSA food comes from at a time when Farmer Judee would be home.

When I picked up my share a week earlier, I asked Judee if it would be okay to stop by to see the farm in person. Her face lit up and offered to give me a tour.

Pinelands in located in Hammonton, NJ, an easy 70 minute drive from home, about 30 minutes from Atlantic City. The heart of the farm is located down a long road with fields on either side. This time of year, the left side has pick your own blueberries, and the right side has other crops growing.

When I arrived with the top down on my convertible, Judee commented it was the perfect day for a ride. She and her dog, Ruby, walked me around the different fields showing me where the food I pick up every week is grown. We went past apple orchards, flower gardens, blueberry patches, and saw cabbage, and lettuce growing. Inside she showed me the machines where they package the blueberries and other crops.

My one regret is not taking a picture of Judee and Ruby. Hopefully Don and I will return this fall to see pumpkins and other fall produce.



I love how the old farm equipment has been
repurposed to display flowers


Packaging the blueberries



Hot houses


Flowers around the vegetables to deter the deer

Lots and lots of cabbages

More blueberry bushes -- they grow about a half a dozen different types

I was sent home with a bonus box,
which I gave to a friend

This week at the CSA --
bonus produce in honor of Farmers Market Week


 

No comments:

Post a Comment