Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Too soon, my daughter, too soon

Recently our daughter told us she was going out with a group of theater friends to celebrate the closing of a successful show.

I knew drinking would be involved.

I knew she recently turned 21 and would want to buy an alcoholic beverage.

I knew she was running on fumes from enjoying every moment this summer, and working to pay for that enjoyment.

I knew she weighs barely 100 pounds.

I suspected there would not be any food involved, and if there was it wouldn't be enough.

I knew even one drink would be too much.

I also knew barely a week earlier her girlfriend was hit head on by a drunk driver.

I said "we'll drop you off and pick you up."

I knew this wasn't what a 21-year old wants to hear, but I knew I was right.

I knew Don didn't outwardly question my decision, but also didn't fully agree with it.

As she came out of the restaurant tipsy from downing a beer after having a few bites of an appetizer before the restaurant closed, she said "thank you."

At that moment, she knew, too. 

At that moment, Don knew, too.

Too soon.

Praise God her girlfriend left the accident with only a few scratches, needing only a few stitches, and having no broken bones or internal injuries. The trauma will last a long time, but she is dealing with it.

I think it will always be "too soon" to get behind the wheel of a car after "just one drink," but this time I said it and she listened. 

And she thanked me for seeing in advance what she might have missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment