Pages

Friday, June 24, 2022

This Week's Random Thoughts

 This might be quick because Yoran's parents are set to arrive in about 15 minutes.

1) We saw "A Kid Like Jake" last night about a 4-year old boy showing signs of being transgendered. The play also tackled the competitive field of pre-school admissions in Manhattan, miscarriage, and how even liberal parents can be upset when their son starts to show signs he would rather be a girl. In other words -- A LOT! This year Don and I signed up for the Wednesday night series. Not because we like going to see a show on a Wednesday night (though with him stage managing this year it worked out best) but because the Wednesday shows include a talk back. Last night's talk back turned into a therapy session when an older man asked one of the actresses how she cried real tears while on stage. She started to talk about a student in her school district (our school district) who killed himself last week. I don' know the details, but it happened in the park by our house and had something to do with him being gay. (Not sure if he came out to his parents and they rejected him, or if he was afraid to come out to them.) Then I started crying. 

There are so many problems in this country.

2) The Supreme Court decided to overthrow New York's law making it easier for people to carry weapons in public. This only a couple of weeks after a mass shooting in a grocery store in Buffalo, NY and a school shooting in Uvalde, TX. Why are we making it easier for people to have guns? I don't get it.

3) Graduation was hard for me to sit through. Possibly because I knew it would be (self-fulfilling prophecy). It hurt to hear the speeches saying how great it was they could have a real graduation again, and a real end to senior year. I get that they suffered as underclassmen, but it will always ache I didn't sit in the same stadium and hear Ashley's friends graduate. See them bounce the beach ball as names were called. See them laugh and pose for selfies together. College graduation will be that much sweeter.

4) Jayne's husband tested positive for COVID. Thank goodness Jayne wore her mask all week because she tested positive today. I know it seems inevitable that I get it, but I really don't want it right now. We have tickets to see two shows next Wednesday and plans to go to Canada in 11 days. I am excited about being able to paint the office.


I think they are here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment