Pages

Friday, June 17, 2022

This Week's Random Thoughts

Two big topics come to mind for this week's edition of Random Thoughts. 

The first:

Don and I went out last night with of his friends. It was the first time in years I have encountered someone whose filter is completely missing, and has absolutely no ability to talk at less than a mile a minute. It was quite entertaining. I learned more about her parenting style, her frustration with moving south, her disregard for her husband's feelings (he was also in the room), her disability to follow social rules, her fabulous severance package despite moving out of state, and more in about 20 minutes. I left shocked I did not learn about their sex life since literally everything was fair topic (except, of course, anything about me -- though she did criticize me for asking my husband if it was okay to invade his party with friends). Fortunately I did enjoy socializing with everyone else at an easier pace.


The second is less amusing:

I learned I really have to look for a new job. Though the writing has been on the wall, and everyone's advice has been I need to look for someplace new, it because abundantly clear when I was told I am not to socialize with my co-workers at the end of the year staff party or holiday party, or any other non-during work hours event. The only two people not included (staff size 26) are myself and the person who writes the paychecks and handles HR issues (among many other hats). The reason cited was because it would make the rest of the staff too uncomfortable around me -- they'd have to stay professional when they'd rather kick back and relax. 

Yet, the principal, school secretary, and nurse are all included.

Do they do Jell-o shots and play strip poker? I only wanted to go to the party to be a good team player (it happens on my day off). Now I feel extremely uncomfortable around any of them. Who said they didn't want me there? The principal is the one who ultimately told me, but said staff members (who are afraid of me?) spoke with her.

I really hate looking for a new job, but the job market is strong and I have a 3 1/2 year track record of being a development officer who had to keep pivoting during a pandemic. I've got a great story to tell.

Oh, but I really don't want to work full-time.

Pray the right job comes along. This one was the right job at the time, but stopped being the right one about six months ago. I don't see a way to change that.

How to job hunt when you are FaceBook friends with co-workers, a parent, and a board member? I landed the last job through networking on social media. I don't feel comfortable (yet) doing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment