Pages

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Stuff

It is amazing how much stuff we accumulate in our lives. Obviously some people amass more than others. As many of you know I've been trying to sift through 54 years of stuff. I wrote a post about it a few months ago, which was really two posts, and now a third.

Progress really did slow down over the summer. Every so often a friend would offer to come over and help me. Friend. Not Pillsbury family members. They were too busy on their vacations, or with work obligations, moving, or having an "out of sight out of mind" approach to it all, or an "I already do a lot for her" approach. I was motivated by the many thank you notes people sent Honey Bunny about how they are using her treasures, and by her phone calls asking me about the items (in some cases they were buried so deeply she forgot about ever owning them). 

That's how the summer progressed. As my motivation would wane, a lovely note appeared and she was happy to not have to worry about what to do everything, and she was happy they were not ending up in the dumpster. She would also call to thank me for what I was doing for her.

Since her passing a couple of weeks ago I've received emails and texts from people -- some of whom I only met through this project -- telling me how much they appreciate the items. Her seashell collection is down the shore in a beach house. Her textile samples are being turned into bags. Her art supplies are being used by students. These make me feel useful and appreciated.

I learned from a friend we donated so many books to the library book sale for the first time they expanded into the art gallery to sell them. Though I was in the library during the book sale, I wish I had stepped into the back area and seen that! The library profited from her hoarding.

Now back to his family. This is where I don't feel useful or appreciated, but like the unpaid help. The only comment I received on my efforts was "you've done a great job so far, but it is now time to just be done with it, you can't keep dragging this on." They can finish this up. I did about 90% of the work. As I see it, the house needs to be emptied in order for it to sell so the estate can be settled. As they are now key holders in that happening, it is time for ALL of them to do some work to make it happen.



The before pictures show me how much work I have accomplished. The after ones depress me because it is not yet over. Since the second picture I have stripped the bed and donated the sheets and blankets to EASEL. The shelves are now empty and the artwork is in my house. That is the other issue -- my garage is filled with items from Honey Bunny's assisted living apartment. Allen and Ellen emptied the apartment into our garage (they did take the books to Massachusetts). Not only do I have the house to finish emptying, but I have my own house to finish emptying.

I need to step away and stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment