Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Perfect 10 Miler - 2017

For the fifth year in a row I ran the Perfect 10 Miler in Mercer County Park. I left feeling eh after this race. I was reminded of something Ashley told me earlier in the week. Friend #1 was upset because she got a 95 on a chemistry test. Friend #2 was excited because she got a 95 on the same chemistry test!!! That's how I felt with this year's Perfect 10 Miler race. This year and last year I had virtually the same finish time: 1:55 and change. Last year I was psyched to do so well. This year I was bummed I didn't do better. During training my running has been faster and stronger. I've nearly stopped doing intervals and run for fun. However, by mile 7, I couldn't run. I walked at least a mile, probably more like two, and lost all progress I had made in the first half of the race. Every muscle from my big toe up to my shoulders ached.

Let me back track. The race expo was fun. I bought another Bondi Band arm cell phone holder. That was a surprise. I've never seen them at The Perfect 10, only at Disney races. I bought a medium in Paris and found it a little large on my bare arm when doing jumping jacks with Girls on the Run. Now I have a medium to use with a shirt underneath, and a small for warmer days. I also bought more berry flavored gels.


On race day Kim and I found each other and started together. Her plan was at least a half an hour behind mine (which she made with a minute to spare -- Go Kim!), so after I started I tried to move up to where I wanted to be. I should have started where I wanted to be -- around the 11 minute pacers, but it was more fun starting with a friend. I nearly caught up with the 11 minute milers, but not quite. I did start at least 2 minutes behind them in my wave. 

The real issue is the course is BORING. The fun part is bumping into friends -- and I did do that, just not as many as in other years. I saw Anne and the Girls on the Run group (we came in second place as a group), and Gabrielle (no photo this time), but that was about it. Usually the cheering from my girlfriends boosts me.

Here are a few pictures:




Even with her wardrobe issues, she finished before me.
She also won Best Costume.

Reminded me of Peggy Sue

Only a half mile to go

Hillary and Stacey (and Jasper)

Great medals -- fantastic shirts!

We did it! I made Kim smile by waiting for her to finish.

The race shirts are the best I have ever received. Zero advertising. Great shade of pink. Women's cut. Long enough for my long torso. Yes, I should post a picture of it, but I keep wearing it and putting it in the wash so I can wear it again before it gets too cold out to wear it again. 

While waiting for Kim I saw a tent with MomsRunThisTown.com. They have a local chapter in Hamilton that often meets for group runs at Mercer County Park. Once race season is over, I hope to join them. They have paces ranging from those speedy 8 minute milers to walkers at 15 or 16 minute mile paces.

The weather was warm. The sun was shining. I did not get hurt. Yet, overall the feeling of eh has not left me. Less than a week until my next race. May my head get back in the game by then.

Love the shirt and medal:


Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment