Pages

Friday, December 29, 2023

Colonial Ball Through the Years

Nearly each day during the week between Christmas and New Year's Facebook's memory of the day was of the three of us attending the Colonial Ball during Patriot's Week in Trenton. I was actually surprised by how long this has been a tradition for our family.

Patriot's Week started about a decade ago now. That hardly seems possible. I think it took until the second year of the ball for me to bring it up to Don. He surprised me by enthusiastically saying he wanted to go. At that point none of us had Colonial attire, but he wore a tux he bought in 2000 when we had several events in a year where black tie was encouraged. 

The ball is designed as a chance for the reenactors gathering to wear their finery and hang out with each other. The public is invited for a nominal fee (this year it was $17.76 in advance, or $20 at the door). In exchange we were fed sandwiches and salads, and were given dance lessons so we had a shot of understanding what we are doing. The same caller also leads barn dances at Howell Living History farm. The steps are often similar. The barn dances, held three times a year, ask for $3 donation and are extremely kid-friendly.

In 2008 I wore a black dress and pearls. Ashley dressed up, too, as did Elizabeth, her American Girl Doll. Look how tiny Ashley is! 



In 2009, a year later two of us dressed in Colonial attire. Carin surprised us by making Ashley her own colonial gown, and a matching one for her American Girl Doll, Elizabeth. Don dusted off his tux. I cannot find the picture from 2010 or 2011, but I did blog about the 2011 ball.
 In 2012 we decided to go modern again.
In 2013 we wizened up and brought Maia for Ashley so they could dance together. This is around the time Cousin Hayden started to join us, too. My parents have been attending the ball since 2009. For each dance you need a partner. Everyone is friendly, and it is very easy to find a dance partner (especially if you are willing to learn the man's part), but both of us prefer dancing with Don. Fortunately he prefers dancing most of the dances. Note, Ashley is wearing the same dress she wore in 2009 (which she received the day after the ball in 2008), but with a skirt under it to lengthen the dress.

Patti and Neil also often join us at these dances. Patti loves dressing up.










In 2014 the ball was held at the Marriott hotel instead of at the Masonic Temple. It didn't feel the same. Again, Maia, my parents, and Hayden joined us. I also visited with Doreen, a classmate from high school, and saw other people interested in Trenton's history. 



In 2015 the ball returned to the Masonic Temple. For the first time my sister Melissa and her daughter, Aimee, joined us. This is the first year we have to place ourselves so Ashley is not blocking our faces. This was also the first year Ashley wore heels to the event.



In 2017 we did not purchase our ball tickets in time. In previous years we showed up at the door and paid $20 each (could have paid $17.76 plus fees had we purchased them in advance) and partied. That year they instituted a cap. 


In 2018 I made sure to purchase our tickets the day they went on sale. Good thing as it did sell out. The ticket price was raised to $25 each. Still a bargain for a night of dancing and light food while wearing period attire. Patti, Neil, my parents, Melissa, Hayden, and Aimee skipped it this year. It was odd just going as the four of us (three of us, plus Ashley's friend, Maia). The biggest challenge was keeping the camera safe and still dancing. Heidi (Maia's mom) has a friend (Jean) who loaned the girls their period attire. Heidi used her seamstress skills to adjust them to their tiny frames. They felt wearing the Colonial dresses would make their evening more fun. As they danced every dance (we sat out one to take pictures), alternating the man and the woman's sides, they looked like they were having fun. I brought my Colonial gown out of retirement for the event. It felt a little big on me. I remember the sleeves and bodice feeling tighter. The waist is a drawstring, and I had to bring that in further, too. The best part was we remembered many of the steps. Maybe this will be the year we go more often than the ball (there are monthly gatherings in Princeton of English Country Dancers).


My drawstring waist kept slipping
In 2019 we bought our tickets ($25 each) the day they went on sale. They sold out the morning of the ball. Maia came with us again, which is always a treat. Maia and Ashley danced every dance. Don and I had to take a couple of breathers. Our caller, Sue Dupre, threw in a new-to-us dance that required three dancers. Poor Maia was left out, but she made some other friends for the dance. We didn't recognize as many people, but that was okay. We had a lot of fun and danced the night away. One note: they 

pushed the tables to the outer edges and opened the library to give us more space to dance. The band only took a brief 10-minute break, barely long enough for us to take pictures.

2020

I don't know how long this link will be available, but in 2020 Sue Dupre gave a lovely talk in Patriot's Week (Day) about Colonial Balls. It was a sad substitute for the ball. Hoping the ball can return in 2021.

2023

After four long years, Patriot's Week decided it was safe enough to bring back the ball. I did see one person wearing a mask, but for the most part it was just like it was in 2019. Locally, there is an uptick in cases, but that wasn't the case when the decision was made. Don and I bought our tickets (now $40 each) as soon as Sue Dupre announced the ball was happening. My parents meant to, but they didn't until a couple of days in advance. Fortunately it had not yet sold out. Dad is having troubles walked, so he opted out of dancing. My foot has been bothering me, so I encouraged Don to invite my mom to dance a few with him while I sat with Dad. Maia is since married and living out West. Ashley and Anna were not interested in going.
Of note, while Colonial Attire was not required, the vast majority of attendees wore period attire, though not necessarily from the Colonial era. I did see one woman wearing the same Colonial dress that I own, making me glad I did not wear it this year. I know there should be no shame in wearing the same outfit, but my inner high schooler would have been mortified! This way, she didn't know.

Mom was happy to dance, and Dad promised to work on PT so he could join her on the dance floor next year. The staff directed him to an exit that did not involve as many stairs, making him a happy camper at the end of the night.



1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize the Colonial Ball was a long-time tradition for you and your family! I wasn't there this year but will go next year for sure. Hoping to see you at a dance during the year,
    -- Annie

    ReplyDelete