Pages

Saturday, October 7, 2023

Trip Update #10: Parting Thoughts from Down Under

As we left New Zealand, I made a post about random thoughts from the New Zealand portion of the trip. I realized I didn't make a similar post the trip in general.

A popular question been, "so, what was your favorite part?" 

While that is a perfectly acceptable question to ask (and one I might ask a friend after a long journey), I do not have a succinct answer.

The heart's answer: seeing friends in Melbourne and Brisbane

The best splurge answer: riding in a helicopter 

The real answer is longer: I was able to relax because:

  • I always felt safe--no matter the time of day or neighborhood
  • There was always a clean, free, public restroom nearby 
  • Free tap water stations almost always available when ordering food
  • I could read signs and understand strangers
  • The sun shined most of the time
  • The weather was wonderful (not too hot, not too cold)
  • Money was easy to use
  • Amazing food options
  • No sales tax added to items plus no tipping, meant I knew if I had enough cash before I went to pay for a meal
  • No responsibilities
  • Lots of runners and cyclists no matter the day or night
  • I felt like I belonged -- at least until I opened my mouth and my Yankee accent came through

That said, we felt the downside of being that far away from home when our daughter reached out to us with a problem.

I did feel I was constantly doing mental gymnastics:
  • How much is that in US Dollars?
  • What time is it at home?
  • How far is that in miles?

Mostly, how long until we can return? 

Check out the Table of Contents for more posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment